Roon Crashed After Update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 64bit Roon build 610 or whatever downloaded this morning

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet on Netgear Router/Modem

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Sonos on network. Using Ethernet connection on Core PC

Description Of Issue
Roon froze after today’s update. Spinning blue circle of death.

Have you tried any troubleshooting such as rebooting everything?

Sorry for the troubles, @Steven_Singer! Is there any change after a reboot of the machine?

If not, would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Ok. It’s up again. Now, all the albums in my library have duplicates. The platform is working.

Hello @Steven_Singer, could you please send us a screenshot of “Settings>Storage” so we can check for duplicated watch folders? Thanks!

1 Like

When I can get the platform to respond, I will. It crashed again and I’m back to the spinning blue circle of death.

!

This looks like watching the same folder twice ?

Nope. Different names.

Sorry, but you are looking at a subfolder (E2Music) that sits within the Music folder - and that default Music folder is the same as your C:\Users\Steveyb\Music folder…

1 Like

Go to your file browser and see what “My Music” is.

1 Like

Hello @Steven_Singer, could you please post a screenshot of the filepath to those folders via finder? Thanks!

The solution came from Roon. It seems clear your developers were working on this. Everything is now back to operational. Thanks.

Hello @Steven_Singer, glad things are working as expected! Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Roon has continued to crash intermittantly this afternoon. When restarted, I play a file which will play fine until I click on anything else to change screens, photos, etc. Then the spinning blue circle of death and the timer quits. Any click after this takes the platform to grey screen and crash. The music will continue to play.

I’m seeing the same thing as Steven - I have a sub-folder as well. I know the reasons why I can’t simply copy my music folder to, for example, a usb drive and run it from there properly.

What I don’t yet understand is this: I can disable either one of the folders, and things will still work – sort of. For example, artwork goes missing in places.

Does Roon default to the Music library in Windows? I could create another library and move the folder there - but would I lose metadata, as happens when pointing Roon to a removable drive?

Not sure what you are saying, but in Steven’s case it seems that he has defined the main Music folder twice as a watched folder, so that’s why he is seeing duplicates.

Sorry Jeff - I edited my post as you replied - might you kindly give it another look?

Geoff

If the subfolder were an issue, Windows would not have allowed its creation. My Music with E2 Music as a subfolder has been running on my PC for years without issue.

If you install the Roon Core (which is one of the three main components of the Roon for Windows package) on a Windows PC, then yes, it will set up a default Watched Folder to the user’s Music folder and call that the “Music Folder”.

It’s up to you whether you use it or not - it’s convenient for some people, but not for all.

You can store your local music collection wherever you find convenient, in your Windows Music folder, in another folder elsewhere in your Windows PC, or in a Network folder. Just tell Roon where it is and it will watch what you put in it, and add it to your Library.

I’m not sure what you mean by “lose metadata, as happens when pointing Roon to a removable drive”. Roon stores all metadata in its own database - never in the files themselves.