Roon crashes after a restart when track paused at end of track [Ticket open]

Summary
This is reproducible error that occurs when:

1. You pause a track at the very end of the track
  2. You quit then restart Roon (I did this because I needed to reboot my PC)
  3. You hit pause again to restart the track - Roon immediately crashes
    It’s not a big issue since, if you hit “Play Album” again, everything works OK.

Track Playing
This first happened when playing “Just Like a Woman” on Bob Dylan’s “Blonde on Blonde” on Tidal. I can reproduce the same problem on other tracks on other albums.

Windows Event Logs
First Error Log entry …

Application: Roon.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at Sooloos.Audio.AudioStreamNative.roon_convolution_accum_path(Double*, Double*, Int32, Int32, Int32, Double)
   at Sooloos.Audio.ConvolutionFilterPathsStream.ReadImp(Sooloos.Audio.AudioBuffer, Int32)
   at Sooloos.Audio.AudioStream.Read(Sooloos.Audio.AudioBuffer, Int32)
   at Sooloos.Audio.ConvertBitDepthStream.ReadImp(Sooloos.Audio.AudioBuffer, Int32)
   at Sooloos.Audio.ReportProcessingSpeedStream.ReadImp(Sooloos.Audio.AudioBuffer, Int32)
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.RaatZonePlayer+<>c__DisplayClass40.<_StartStream4>b__3a()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Second Error Log entry …

Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59af03c5
Faulting module name: roonmedia.DLL, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59af039b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000158eca
Faulting process id: 0x13ec
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3391fa3dd5fd9
Faulting application path: C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\100300262\roonmedia.DLL
Report Id: b92a2186-1c70-469e-82ad-24e88c895aad
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Third error report information entry …

Fault bucket 120843093949, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Roon.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 59af03c5
P4: roonmedia.DLL
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 59af039b
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000158eca
P9: 
P10: 

Let me know if you want more information.

Hi @David_Burdett — Thank you for the report and the feedback. Both are very appreciated!

We are going to test in house and see if we are able to reproduce this behavior you’re experiencing. Once i get some feedback from our QA department on their results, I will be sure to update this thread accordingly.

-Eric

Hi @David_Burdett ---- Thank you for you patience while our QA team has been looking into this behavior.

Moving forward, the team has reported to me that they have been unable to replicate this behavior and in light of this have asked for the following:

• An expanded description of your current setup, using this link as a guide.

• Please reproduce the reported issue, note the time when the application crashes, and then use the instructions found here to send us Roon logs from your core machine.

-Eric

Hi Eric
Here’s the additional information that you requested…

• Roon Version: 1.3 (build 262) stable 64 bit
  • Device: Desktop PC, i7, 32GB RAM, Asus motherboard; Intel WiFi ~300Mbps, OS on SSD, Music files on HDD
  • Music storage: the desktop PC (above) is used as the Roon Core. It was also being used for playback when the crash occurred
  • Collection size: 3359 tracks + Tidal

Other:

• The crash only seems to occur when I use the Roon Core device for playback. I tried to get Roon to crash when I was using a different device as the Roon endpoint - I couldn’t
  • The crash is still happening, for example see the attached screen shot!
    Roon Beth Ditto |634x500 which I have just generated.

As I said before, this is not a big deal since if you hit “Play Album” it doesn’t crash … I really like Roon.

David

Thanks for touching base with me @David_Burdett and providing the requested feedback, very appreciated!

Moving forward, I tried to access the provided screenshot and it looks like I am unable :sweat: would you kindly re-supply? Furthermore, did you get a chance to perform the log gathering exercise mentioned in my last post?

-Eric

Hi @David_Burdett ---- Thank you for touching base with me via PM, confirming that the materials have been received.

I will let you know what the team comes up with, you patience is appreciated!
-Eric

Hi @David_Burdett ---- Thank you for your patience and my sincere apologies for the slow response here.

I wanted to touch base and see if you were still experiencing this behavior with build269. Looking forward to your feedback.

-Eric

Hi Eric
The problem is still there on build 269. However it only seems to occur when I am listening to Roon on the same PC as is running the Roon Core, i.e. the failure occurs after the core is shut down and then restarted. The problem doesn’t seem to happen when I shut down and restart Roon on a laptop that is running Roon separately from the core. As I said before this really is an “edge case” as it is very rare to want to shut down Roon at the very end of a track. For me it was only when I needed to reboot my PC for some Windows updates.
Thanks for getting back to me.
David

Hi @David_Burdett ---- Thank you for your patience and my apologies for the slow response.

Moving forward, I had a chance to touch base with a few members of our tech team today and they have advised that a ticket is currently open in our system addressing this behavior you are experiencing. While I cannot comment on an exact day/time as to when this issue will be resolved please rest assured that it is being worked on and when I have a better sense of the team’s progress I will be sure to update this thread accordingly.

-Eric