Roon Crashes after new install and will not restart (Problem Persists)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10
Roon 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
All local.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Lampizator Atlantic TRP, USB

Description Of Issue
Core crashes.

Reinstalled/restarted multiple times. Tried 32 bit. Same problem. Roon begins to rebuild database and crashes 5 minutes in. Following initial crash of new install the Roon application will not restart–fails at startup.

Here are log files from the most recent attempt:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1znIwIVgJ7aNmoHD-wgIKCIKPaZx5PRee/view?usp=sharing

Completely wiped the harddisk, reinstalled Windows, reinstalled Roon. Crashed again. Same symptoms. Something hardware related? Could someone please take a look at the attached log and provide guidance if possible? Thanks.

Still no solution.

Do you have everything attached to the PC when you are doing these operations?
What pc are you building and have you updated the graphics drivers from the manufacturer site not windows update?

Going to update graphics drivers now. The low profile, fanless graphics card is actually the only new component that should matter (rest is fainless case, HDPlex ATX converter and Keces P8 power supply). Thank you for the advice. Will report back.

Is the card a new addition?

Yes, Nvidia GT 610. It seems that’s the most likely culprit. No driver update since 2017. Don’t Nvidia is really supporting it. May need to try something else.

Does the motherboard have any inbuilt graphics? Or do you have another card lying around? (Some folk never throw anything out :slight_smile:)

The board is AMD with no inbuilt graphics (ASUS Crosshair VII). I do have a graphics card from an old build but it is not low profile enough to fit in the HDPlex case…

I may try to see if I can test with the old graphics card. But if the card is indeed the culprit, I will need to find another fanless solution that will play nice with Roon.

If you are just after a screen rather than performance graphics maybe a usb graphics adapter might be worth a trial.

I may try that. Exploring those options now. Thanks so much for your help!

Hi @Andrew_Dodson,

Where are your library files stored? Did you add any new files to your watched folders around the time this started happening?

Can you confirm how many tracks total you have in your library?

Finally, can you give us some information about the specs of your Windows machine?

Thanks!

Thanks for reaching out, Dylan.

My library files are stored on a USB attached external hard drive. I had not been using Roon for several months. So the entire hard drive was a new situation for Roon. The library had been on an internal drive in the old machine. There are probably 500 new albums, mostly vinyl rips, that have been added since Roon was last used.

There are about 5500 albums in my library. So I would guess around 75,000 tracks.

The build is around an ASUS Crosshair VII Hero with an AMD Ryzen 7 3700x chip. Samsung SSD, 8 GB DDR4 RAM, a fanless GT 610 graphics card (which I ordered a replacement for hoping it was the culprit in this scenario), HDPLEX fanless case w/ HDPLEX 800w ATX/DC converter, external Keces P8 linear power supply.

Let me know if additional information would be helpful. Thank You.

Hi @Andrew_Dodson,

Thanks for the details here. Your GPU supports the right versions of OpenGL so it should work. I think we need to see some additional details from Event Viewer. Please see these steps:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Send us the event viewer logs via Dropbox or another file sharing service

Thanks!

Here you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BhTpooQFkxqwrrq3CGokBpgD8Jk969xr/view?usp=sharing

Hi @Andrew_Dodson,

I just wanted to say thanks for sending that over and confirm that I’ve passed it along to the team. I’ll be sure to follow up ASAP.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.