Roon crashes at start up MacOS

Roon Core Machine

iMac (27-inch, late 2013)
Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.6, Processor 3.2 GhZ Intel Core i5. Memory 32 GB 16000 MHz DDR3.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Nightwalk, WiFi connection to Core

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound music streamer , connected via ethernet to stereo amplifier, wifi connection with Roon

Number of Tracks in Library

I’m not sure. Roughly 350 GB.

Description of Issue

Roon has been running perfectly well on this machine for about a year (since I first subscribed). As of last week, it crashes upon opening and does not report a crash. I updated the OS but, still, crash.

To be detailed: on starting, the Roon window opens. The window then briefly displays the album list, and then closes. This happens on any and all devices (the Core device, as well as the mobile apps on iPhone and iPad.)

1 Like

Hi @Robert_Gould,

Thank you for getting in touch to let us know about this. This isn’t what we like to hear at all, makes it very difficult for you to enjoy music in Roon.

Could you please start with a simple hard reboot of your Core machine:

• Power down
  • Unplug the machine
  • Wait a few minutes
  • Plug in
  • And Power Up
  • Attempt to launch Roon successfully

If the behavior repeats use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader?

We’ll take a close look at what’s happening and get back in touch.

Dear Jamie,
I uploaded the files a couple of weeks ago and was wondering if you’ve been able to make any sense, yet, of the issue? There’s also a dropbox link if that’s helpful: Dropbox - rgould@stat.ucla.edu.zip - Simplify your life
Best,
Rob

Roon Core Machine

iMac (27-inch, late 2013)
Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.6, Processor 3.2 GhZ Intel Core i5. Memory 32 GB 16000 MHz DDR3.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Nightwalk, WiFi connection to Core

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

I’m not sure. Roughly 350 GB.

Description of Issue

I wrote about this a month ago but haven’t received any support. Jamie reached out and I responded, but there has been nothing since then. Here’s the issue: Roon has been running perfectly well on this machine for about a year (since I first subscribed). As of about a month ago, it crashes upon opening and does not report a crash. I updated the OS but, still, crash.

To be detailed: on starting, the Roon window opens. The window then briefly displays the album list, and then closes. This happens on any and all devices (the Core device, as well as the mobile apps on iPhone and iPad.)

Here’s a link to zipped Roon logs:
dropbox.com/s/qdsdtjxy45sumz1/rgould@stat.ucla.edu.zip?dl=0

Hey @Robert_Gould,

I am so sorry we missed on your post for so many days already … :pensive: . We appreciate the details and your willingness to get this sorted out.

I was hoping to ask if you could give the steps below a try:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Restore a backup

Thanks so much :pray:

Thanks for your help!
When restoring the backup, I get this message from the Backup Manger:

"There was an error retrieving the backup listing (InvalidRoot). Please check the backup folder and try again.

I’m not sure what to “check” … the folder looks fine to me, and I can access it from within the Finder.

Please advise!

Thanks for going through the steps and trying to reset the database :pray:

Could you please move the backup to a different location than where it currently is and try restoring it from there?

P.S. When you say Backup Manager, are you referring to the Backup section in Roon’s settings?

Thank you, Rebeca. I tried moving it to several locations, but received the same error. I"m including a screenshot, which identifies the “Backup Manager”.

Best,
Rob

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your help in figuring this out.

Can you please post a screenshot of the contents of your RoonBackups folder and a screenshot of the backup in Roon Settings → Backups → Find Backups → Browse?

Dear Rebeka,
Progress! When searching for where Roon SEttings might be found, I found another RoonBackups folder that was not empty (as was the previous one.) So I restored using the non-empty one, and everything seems to be working again!
Thanks for your patience.

Best,
Rob

2 Likes

That’s so amazing to hear, @Robert_Gould :heart_eyes: .

Thank you for going a step even further to find the solution :partying_face: . We’re grateful :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.