Roon Crashes Defining Audio Devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacBook Pro 16" (2019) - macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Roon 1.8 (build 764)

Roon is connecting to a ROCK running on an Intel NUC - Roon 1.8 (build 764) - Ethernet connection to the same Cisco switch as denoted below.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Network - Ethernet - Cisco Catalyst 3560-CG

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MacBook Pro Speakers & CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 Docking Station

Description Of Issue

I’ve been running Roon on this same computer since 1.7 and upgraded to 1.8 when it came out, then upgraded again to 1.8 (build 764) the day it was pushed out.

I was prompted to select an audio zone. When I clicked the button, I noticed none of the audio zones I defined on my MacBook were available.

I went into Settings → Audio, then tried to enable a couple of the audio sources on my MacBook but they weren’t even listed.

I exited Roon & launched it again. This time, I could see the audio devices. I tried enabling one of the devices. I was prompted to customize the name of the device. As soon as I clicked in the field to input a name, Roon crashed. Every subsequent attempt - the same thing happens.

I’ve also deleted the Roon app and reinstalled it. I rebooted. None of those changes made a difference.

There’s a log entry in the system.log:

Mar 2 16:43:44 C02DD21SMD6R[1] (com.roon.Roon.64816[24337]): Service exited with abnormal code: 5

Apologies for the trouble here, @JeffH!

Would you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

@dylan - for security reasons, I cannot provide a pubically accessible Dropbox link in a forum that’s open to the world. I can provide you with link(s), but I need to send them to you directly. Standby.

Hi @JeffH — That’s no problem! You can send them to us via a Private Message here on the site so it is not accessible to others.

Edit — I see you’ve done that already. Perfect! We’ll take a look and will be in touch as soon as the logs have been analyzed. Thanks!

@dylan tThanks so much! I was able to finalize the audio device configuration by enabling the audio device and saving it. The application appears to only crash when I try to rename the device.

Hopefully that helps you if you try to reproduce the issue.

@dylan do you guys have an update on the status of this case? I opened it 10 days ago and hoped I would have heard back - at least with a root cause analysis - by now. Thanks!

Hi @JeffH

I just wanted to let you know that this is with our QA team still for investigation. Once they’re investigation into this issue has been completed I’ll be sure to follow up with you.

Hi @dylan - I just downloaded 1.8 build 778. I tried renaming a few audio devices with the new build and things seem to be a lot more stable.

It’s looking like the issue was resolved which is awesome! Let’s just consider this as resolved for the time being. If the issue rears its ugly head again, I’ll come back and update this post or create a new one and tag you.


1 Like

Glad to hear it, @JeffH! If you do see any issues return please reach out and I’ll inform the team.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.