Roon Crashes iMac (Catalina) During Migration from MacBook Pro (Mojave)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Current: MacBook Pro Late 2013 (Mojave 10.14.6)
New: iMac 5K 27" 2019 (Catalina 10.15.7)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Not a network issue. Linksys Router, ethernet connections between core and hifi system

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, ethernet

Description Of Issue

I’ve followed your guide on how to move my Roon Core to another computer. The computer I’m starting from is a MacBook Pro (late 2013) running Mojave (10.14.6) and the computer I’m trying to move it to is an iMac (5K, 27" 2019) running Catalina (10.15.7). I made a backup from the MacBook Pro, and used that IAW your guide. I’ve got roughly 30,000 tracks.

Things seem to start out OK, but eventually it just locks up the iMac entirely (accepts no inputs from keyboard or mouse, doesn’t even allow me to get into force quit), or sometimes crashes it and makes it reboot. I then uninstall Roon using AppCleaner. I’ve tried this a couple of times with the same results.

I really don’t have anything much in the backup that is essential. My next step would be to try it without the backup. Do you think this would help? Is it perhaps the backup being on a Mojave computer and the new one on Catalina?

Also, I’ve got two iTunes libraries (one ALAC and one with lossy compression) mixed in. My iTunes playlists are all in the lossy library, so unless I can use those with my lossless music, I probably won’t transfer those over (on a side note, what I’d really like to do with the iTunes library is get rid of the lossy compression tracks, and just have the iPhone restrict bandwidth of music it sucks in, but keep my iTunes playlists). I’ve also tried doing it using the same external hard drive that I used with the MacBook Pro, but that didn’t work either.

So now I’m back to using it on the MacBook Pro, and it’s working fine there.

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

Hi @Raymond_Cannon,

If you can reproduce the crash would you please do that and then use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Also, just to confirm, is the Core still running on the old Mac at the same time? If you shut down the old Mac is there any change?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.