Roon crashes iMac every time it's opened

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
Processor 4.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 64GB 2400MHz DDR4
Graphics Radeon Pro 580 8GB
3TB Fusion Drive
macOS Catalina 10.15.5 fully patched

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi connection to UniFi AP, approx 70Mbps broadband

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Crash happens as soon as application is started, so no option to select audio device

• Internal speakers
  • Fiio K3 via USB to external amp

Description Of Issue

Upon opening Roon app, it starts with the last screen left off, and then seizes up (pinwheeling cursor) before any action can be taken. Any attempt to shift focus to another app causes that app to also freeze with a pinwheel. No ability to Force Quit because it crashes the Finder. System monitor shows no significant processor activity. Only means to recover is to hard reboot the iMac. Have tried removing and reinstalling Roon, but same problem.

When you say removed and reinstalled did you also remove the ~/library roon folders? Do you have a library backup? Maybe a complete remove and reinstall is in order

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location

First time round I took out the core and rebuilt, and it was very briefly fine before reverting to previous problems. I then did a full removal (including the library) but after reinstall it was the same. The problem is I can’t get hold of crash data because once it fails, the only way to recover is to reboot. Right now it’s completely unusable.

I’ve fully hosed out all Roon files and will try once more

OK, thanks for nudging on another removal of Roon. This time I went carefully through a spotlight search and removed any mention of it anywhere (there were some files left in my Public folder for some reason) and so far it’s working.

1 Like

Can mark as a solution then :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.