Roon crashes on Core PC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

PC Running Windows 10 Home (10.0.18362), Intel Core i5-8400 @2,80MHz, !& GB internal RAM/Roon Version 1.6 (build 416) stable (64 bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

PC running Core is connected through Ethernet cable and Ubiquiti UniFi hardware. Internet connection is a fiber connection 100/100 Mbit.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roon on Core PC crashes while inactive e.g., during night or during day when nobody is at home. Except for some tests, I have mainly played with Roon using the integrated audio circuits on my ASUS motherboard, ASUS Prime Z370-P

Description Of Issue

I am in my evaluation period and I guess I quite soon need to decide if I want to pay for continued service. So far, my experiences have been mixed. I love the way Room presents information of the music and how my setup is working from source to player. It is very informative and useful. However, I have yet to experience Roon to stay running more than, say 12 hours. Since I get no error message but only suddenly find that Roon is not running, it is hard to say exactly how long, or short, Roon actually runs.

I need som help in understanding how this can be fixed. Right now, I do not feel very encouraged to invest in a licens when I most often need to go to the PC running Core to start it every time I want to play some music. It should be running all the time, more or less.

Kind regards,
/Mats Rahm
Stockholm
Sweden

Energy saving options are what often troubles users that try to use computers with OS’s optimized for personal use as a server.

If you never get a crash during use I would suggest taking a look at the PC sleep/idle settings. Long term I’d consider a dedicated miniature server running ROCK. That can go weeks between restarts.

I have since before set the energy options for the computer to never shut down. I only turn off the screen after ten minutes. Should not that be fair settings?

There is no reason why a Windows PC should not be able to run Roon day and night.
I have a Windows 10 Pro desktop computer that is exactly doing that without problems.

As a test I would really turn off all power settings related to go to sleep and power off.
Mind you that some are burried deeper in advanced power settings , such as lan connection

Dirk

Yes, I have one that has been running nonstop for years.

Hi @Mats_Rahm,

Do you use Roon or RoonServer (with no interface) in your setup? I have Roon often running in the background on multiple PCs and I haven’t had a crash yet.

You mentioned that this happens approximately every 12 hours, can you let me know the exact local time + date when you next notice that Roon is not running any longer?

I am running Roon. Can I run Roon Server on an ordinary PC or do it have to be a dedicated NUC?

Typically I leave it on when I go to bed a bit after midnight CET and then, after breakfast at 8 AM CET when I check, Roon is no longer running.

I thought I might have found something when I found that I could turn off something called Hybrid Power Save, but then again I thought that it probably had something to do with virtual machines that I do not use. It did not make any difference. Roon had stoped running when I checked again this morning.

Kind regards,
/Mats Rahm

Roon server runs perfectly well on an ordinary PC; I prefer to run Roon that way. In fact, the ordinary PC’s processor will probably be faster than a comparable NUC since NUC’s use mobile processors.

Works great for me.

Hi @Mats_Rahm,

You can run Roon on a regular PC. You can even have both the All-in-one version of Roon and RoonServer on the same machine, and then you can exit out of Roon and have RoonServer keep running in the system tray so it doesn’t use GPU resources.

I wonder if the Roon logs provide any further clues. Can you please manually send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? The best way to get them over to me would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive link.

Hi Noris.

I have prepared the zip, put it in Dropbox, and created a link but how can I send the link to you without posting it here in the forum?

Send it via a Private Message to Noris - click on his Avatar icon, and then on the blue Message button to create a PM to him.

I would expect it to work something like that. Maybe I am blind, but I cannot find any blue Message button.

What am I missing?

Looks as though you haven’t posted enough in the Forum to progress to the next level. I’ll page a moderator @Carl to see if he can help unlock this for you.

1 Like

Thanx. I am a newbie just started trying out Roon so no more postings than this trying to get it running reliably.

@Geoff_Coupe thanks, that’s now done.
@Mats_Rahm, you should be able to send a PM now to @noris.

@Carl - Thanks for bumping @Mats_Rahm up a trust level and for @Geoff_Coupe for flagging this down.

@Mats_Rahm - Whenever you are ready proceed with troubleshooting please do send the logs over at your earliest convenience.

Logs sent, Thanx all for the assistance!

1 Like

Hi @Mats_Rahm,

Thanks for sending those logs over. I took a look through them and I am not noticing anything strange at the end of the logs, they appear to abruptly stop. In your PM you mentioned that RoonServer appears to not have this issue, do let me know if everything still remains stable after a few days.