Roon crashes on imac daily

My roon core installation running on a dedicate iMAC under High Sierra crashes regularly for no apparent reason. This happens when not being used - i.e. whilst just idle - please could you run some diagnostics on this account.

@support will need more info. see the below link -

2 Likes

Thanks for flagging us down @xxx, appreciated!

@Keith_Blundy, thank you for the report and sorry to hear of the troubles. Continuing forward, would you please kindly provide me with a brief but accurate description of your current setup using the link provided above as a guide. Additionally, my assumption is that you have not always had this problem with the mentioned iMac (due correct me if I am wrong :innocent: ), can you think of any changes that may have taken place before this behavior started to occur?

Lastly, our diagnostics feature relies on the core machine being able to stay in stable contact with our servers. If the iMac is crashing to frequently I fear that we may not receive the upload. In light of this, may I very kindly ask you to please use the instructions found here and send us over a set of your “Roon” logs. Furthermore, if OSX is generating a crash report when this happens, having that information as well would be very appreciated!

-Eric

Morning Eric – thank you for your reply. Here are the requested details which I have placed into a dropbox. The link is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j9zcouivwydr19y/AAAs5p-gkVMnJV_4T9A_6l5Fa?dl=0

On the other point – this has been happening for a long time – as you will see from the logs.

The server is available for you to do diagnostics as needed. Please let me know if I need to do anything.

I look forward to your response to these logs.

Hi @Keith_Blundy — Thank you for the follow up! Confirming that your Roon logs and the requested OSX crash report(s) have been received.

Continuing forward, I am going to be passing this information over to our tech for evaluation but in the interest of having a complete report could you please provide the information asked in my previous:

“Continuing forward, would you please kindly provide me with a brief but accurate description of your current setup using the link provided above as a guide. Additionally, my assumption is that you have not always had this problem with the mentioned iMac (due correct me if I am wrong :innocent: ), can you think of any changes that may have taken place before this behavior started to occur?”

-Eric

Roon Version 1.4 (Build 300) 64 Bit on a MAC
MAC Mini late 2012 2.5Ghz intel core 8GB 8GB RAM 500GB HD
OSX High Sierra 10.13.3
Music Stored on a NAS (Melco N1)

19576 Tracks in the library. Roon is connected to a dCS Network Bridge via Ethernet.

1 Like

Hi @Keith_Blundy ----- Thank you again for continued feedback and more importantly, thank you for your patience while our techs have been looking into this behavior you have reported to us.

Continuing forward, our techs have informed me that they are seeing “cannot connect” warnings in the logs we received in the diagnostics report from your core machine. In light of this discovery the team has if you would kindly disable the network share (i.e from the Melco N1), temporarily of course, and verify how the system responds.

-Eric

Note: Based on the title of the thread my assumption is that you are seeing this behavior on a “daily” basis but it is still unclear as to what the frequency is like - once daily, every hour, etc, etc. The point being is that you may need to leave this configuration in place for a day or so to accurately monitor the performance of the system with the N1 temporarily offline.

Dear Eric - I have disabled the Melco Share as requested.

Please, would you setup extended diagnostics on this account as I am confident you will get better data directly from the roon core. The frequency of crashing is rather indeterminate - but certainly, it’s up for long enough to collect data over a day or more.

Regards
Keith

Thank you for performing the request action @Keith_Blundy, I look forward to hearing what observations are made during this troubleshooting exercise.

In regard to your question about setting up “extended diagnostics” on your account…

When we enable this diagnostics on a user’s account, think of it as request that is sent to your core machine and less of an “on/off button.” After the request has been made it is fulfilled the next time the application is active on the core machine (i.e we receive a diagnostics report containing Roon logs) . We do not receive “live” diagnostics from your core machine when this feature is enabled, which is why I typically ask our users to reproduce the issue first and record the time when the error occurred. This way we have a point of reference and can ensure that the error was captured in the log traces.

-Eric

Thanks Eric - roon crashed this morning when doing an update - meaning I had to download the SW from the website. Apart from that all OK at the moment. - Did you get any diags from the core as yet?

Keith

Hi @Keith_Blundy ----- Thank you for touching base. We have not received any further diagnostics from your machine because another request has not been made yet :wink:

We are trying to understand what are causing these crashes on your system based off the findings our tech team made in the logs attached to the first diagnostics report we had received. Temporarily taking the N1 offline and monitoring the behavior of the iMac is where we are at currently in this process. Has the M1 been left offline as request? Have you noticed any changes in behavior with your iMac since this action was performed? The crash you experienced today, was it the same crash you have been experiencing?

-Eric

The Melco - is still disabled. Ok so far today. I have also sent the diagnostic logs to Melco also.

Keith

The melco has been disabled for a week - and all seems to be OK at the moment.

Please advise?

Keith

Hi @Keith_Blundy ----- Thank you again for your feedback and patience, both have been appreciated!

Continuing forward, if you have not already please update to the latest build (i.e build306) and then re-enable the Melco in Roon. After you are up to date and the Melco is active in Roon please let us know what the experience is like.

-Eric

A post was split to a new topic: Roon crashes daily on Mac Mini