Roon crashes on M1 MacBook Pro

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

macOS 11.0.1 / MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020), 16GB Memory / Roon Version 1.7 (build 667) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Telekom Speedport Smart 3, SpeedHome Wifi, using WiFi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord Mojo via USB

Description Of Issue

Roon keeps crashing in random intervals of about 10 to 60 minutes. Most of the time about 1 or 2 crashes over the duration of an album. All in all not a very complex setup. Please help.

Hi @Leon_Reich,

Does it only happen during playback, or does Roon crash even when idle?

Have you noticed any patterns that seem to lead to the crash occurring?

Did this setup work fine previously? If so were there any changes around the time this started occurring?

No, until now I haven’t figured out a pattern. I mostly close Roon altogether when I’m not listening to music, so I can’t comment on that. Sadly, last time it crashed I forgot to save the report. Will do so the next time. But the behaviour has pretty much stayed the same since I migrated my library from my WindowsPC to the new M1 MacBook.

Thanks for the details, @Leon_Reich. Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Should I send the download link via the support mail address or here in the forum?
Doesn’t matter, I used Roonlabs’ contact form.

Hi @Leon_Reich,

I just wanted to confirm that we received the logs. I’m reviewing with our team and we’ll follow up soon!

Sorry I have to add another issue to the list. The only streaming service I use is Qobuz, and if the Mac is still running from the previous day, search and Qobuz don’t work at all, until I reboot.

New intel: this time the entire Mac crashed. Just in case this could be helpful in any way.

Thanks for the update, @Leon_Reich. I’ve scheduled a meeting to discuss this with our senior technical team.

In the meantime, can you try launching Roon and leaving it open without playback? Does the same crash occur when Roon is idle? It will be helpful in understanding this to know if it happens when idle or if certain actions are triggering this.

Thanks!

Roon is running fine in the background, as long as there’s no playback, at least until now.

Unexpected result. Roon doing nothing in the background seems to be fine. Still no playback going on, but ending full screen mode and then quitting the app via cmd + q crashed the mac. The System does not respond for a few seconds, then a very brief pink screen flashes, then it reboots. Sadly I have no way of knowing what caused the crash, ending full screen or quitting. During playback it does not matter whether Roon is in full screen or not, crashes both ways.

I had the same thing happen on my M1 MacBook Air. Kernel Panic I am pretty sure. I will try to reproduce in a couple of days. Core is running elsewhere. Roon UI was not playing any thing. Most likely runnning for a couple of days.

Bob

@Leon_Reich — I spoke with the team today and they’re looking into this. We were hoping you might be able to try something. Can you turn disable sleep on the Mac and leave Roon running? Does the same issue occur if sleep is disabled?

I will certainly try so, results tomorrow. I will try both playback and no playback.

1 Like

Sorry for the late report. Still have not gotten around to testing playback with disable sleep turned on, but runs fine in the background and does not crash upon quitting.

So, MacBook on the charger. Disable sleep is turned on. A locally stored album (71 minutes) played fine on a remote zone. An album from Qobuz (34 minutes) just crashed 15 minutes in, playback local via the USB connected Mojo.
Also, using Amphetamine to disable sleep while on battery seems to reliably crash Roon every time Amphetamine tries to disable sleep.

Don’t know if that helps solve the issue, but this is what I’ve been able to try.
Would love to hear about progress on this.

Thanks for the update here, @Leon_Reich. I appreciate you giving that another go.

Does this always seem to happen more with Qobuz? The next time this happens please note the time / track once more. I’m going to gather some additional diagnostics and will follow up with the team on the status of their investigation. Thanks!

Nope, another crash while a local album was playing. Also about 20 minutes in. The thing that I have to reboot to get Qobuz to work at all is still there. Today I updated to macOS 11.1 and listened to two local albums without a crash (directly after a reboot). I keep listening and noting any anomalies.

Have you noticed any more issues after the macOS update? If so please note the time / track name and I’ll take a look. Thanks!

No improvement in sight. Just installed the Roon Version 1.7 (build 710) stable update, still have to restart the Mac to get Qobuz to work at all. Also another crash playing local tracks, barely 7 minutes in. Was playing ‘14 Falling Snowflakes Dotting the Verdant Trees’ on ‘The MA Recordings Audiophiliac HiRez Music Sampler 2020’.
Would you like another upload of Roons logs?