Roon crashes on start-up when Tidal is connected

Roon Core Machine

<Ryzen 7950x, 64GB RAM DDR6 6200) →

Networking Gear & Setup Details

On Ethernet fiber-optic using ISP provided router.

Connected Audio Devices

Connected to RME ADI-2 ASIO, but have for a very long time with no issue, the issue is new after the update.

Number of Tracks in Library

6000+ tracks.

Description of Issue

I have managed to diagnose the exact issue that causes this crash on start up, when roon is connected to tidal and there are multiple tracks in the forward and backwards that are connected to Tidal and not on the core, roon refuses to start up and instead gives a (not responding) message.

The only way to fix it is to uninstall roon and choose “Settings and databases” option, then log in again.

And then it will crash again if you close roon with multiple songs in the roster, and then try to open it again. And WILL NOT START unless you uninstall the Settings and databases again. Which needless to say this solution is less than ideal.

I don’t know what is the exact cause for this as I am not a programmer or a software engineer, however I have managed to consistently recreated and spent this Saturday doing nothing but trying to fix it, but there is nothing I can fix on my end, so Roon Labs I hope a fix is in the works for this or something, otherwise it is literally unusable for me right now.

Tagging @support for you.

(They’ve been busy what with the holidays and new release, etc.)

1 Like

Hi @Musab_AlThomali,

We’re catching up after the holidays. My apologies for the slow response from Roon support.

I would like to see what is happening in the diagnostics and logging. I currently see that your core hasn’t reported to Roon servers in 5 days though. Can you please power up your core and leave it on? Another thing that will help greatly is a date/time stamp of the issue occurring.

All I can say is that this is VERY odd and that your statement of “less than ideal” is certainly correct. I’ll look forward to your response and we’ll get started fixing this.

Regards,
Wes

@Wes Okay i have reinstalled roon and got an update so I updated and I believe I am currently in the latest build, right now I have it on so the date/time of this message, it is currently stuck in not responding on start up. 05/01/2023 From 8:50 PM to about 10:00 PM GMT+3.

Hi @Musab_AlThomali,

I am certain that your freezing is the reason for my inability to access diagnostics. When you reinstalled it, your app gave us a fresh instance of Roon reporting to our servers so it worked at least briefly.

I’m going to list some steps to give you a completely fresh install. I hope you have a good backup to restore when we’re done since this will wipe everything. Unfortunately, if we can’t even get the app to open it’s our only option.

These are the steps to give Roon and RAAT a fresh start and WILL result in data loss if no backups exist!

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename “Roon” to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall Roon from our Downloads Page

Please let me know how things go. We need to get you back to enjoying the music.

Regards,
Wes

I have already deleted all the app files multiple times so I really no longer need to back-up anything since all of it gone anyway.

Yes, when I delete the app data in the uninstall section it works again, it even works just fine as long as I remain in that instance, but once I have listened to multiple tracks and roon creates a playlist for me regardless if I had tidal connected or not, once I close the app it won’t start back up again.

I believe it is an issue in trying to recall the playlist it created or something close to that that leads to roon unable to start after closing it.

The reason on why you got a fresh instance of roon reporting is because like I said before, once I start a fresh install of roon it works perfectly fine, but once it creates a playlist regardless if it on internal memory or tidal, and then I close the app, it won’t start back up again unless I delete the app data. After much investigation I found that if I start roon and don’t play any tracks, I can open it and close it as many times as I want and it will start up from closure just fine, I believe the issue is that roon is trying to recall the playlist and is unable to, so it just stops responding.

Hi @Musab_AlThomali,

I need to confirm this. I’ve sent a diagnostics request to your core. Can you get the app to come up at all? If not, here’s the information to send me the logging.

Please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

Thanks,
Wes

I submitted two files, one before opening roon, the other after opening roon and getting the usual white screen and then not responding which was marked under Roon_log.12. Or I think it is just roon_log and the other ones were renamed looking at the time stamp.

Reading through it, it seems there was a track or two in the playlist that was not found so it got stuck in a loop trying to retrieve it or something.

Hi @Musab_AlThomali,

Can you supply the track and approximate time stamp? I may need to review this with our team. Tracks that aren’t found should just be skipped and a crash is certainly not to be expected.

Thanks,
Wes

This is from Roon_log that was uploaded as Musab_AlThomali 2

01/06 20:56:12 Trace: [analysis] Track Surfaces - Hidden Youth - Open Water was not found in AudioAnalysis Service, continuing with analysis…
01/06 20:56:12 Trace: [analysis] analyzing trackid=3595314 Open Water.flac
01/06 20:56:13 Trace: [remoting/brokerserver] [initconn ] Connected
01/06 20:56:13 Warn: [remoting/brokerserver] [initconn ] failed: System.Exception: got unexpected broker id in REQ_HANDSHAKE:
01/06 20:56:13 Trace: [remoting/brokerserver]
01/06 20:56:15 Debug: [easyhttp] [29] POST to https://porttest.roonlabs.net/1/port/check returned after 9308 ms, status code: 504
01/06 20:56:13 Warn: [remoting/brokerserver] [initconn ] failed: System.Exception: got unexpected broker id in REQ_HANDSHAKE:
at Sooloos.Broker.Distributed.InitConnectionV2.d__6.MoveNext()

As you can see, I think it is trying to get the track but is stuck in a loop, this is from an instance where I opened roon and just got a white screen, followed by not responding.

Edit: I deleted some numbers like IP and other things for privacy reasons, but you can find them in the zip file I posted.

Hi @Musab_AlThomali,

I’ve found an open ticket on this issue. Please bear with us on this. We’ll link your issue to the existing ticket and give it another bump to get attention.

Regards,
Wes

Has there been any updates on a fix for this issue?

Hi @Musab_AlThomali,

I have this on our board to talk about this week. As soon as I get some next steps I will be in touch and estimate it will be Wednesday of this week.

Thanks,
Wes