Roon Crashes Shortly After Launch

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Lenovo X1 Laptop (dedicated as Roon Server, no other programs running in background)
Intel Core i7-3667U 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 1909 OS Build 18363.1139
Roon 1.7 (build 610) stable (64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
Roon has been running with no problem since installation late 2017.

Most recent change to system was 2 weeks ago when testing a Bluesound Node 2i - updated Roon and worked with no problem. Node 2i has since be removed from the network.

Roon runs for about 30-45 seconds - just long enough to access settings, overview, etc.
Checked Audio devices and see all that were there previously less the Bluesound.
Checked the “about” tab for version info. (see above).

Have updated Windows and rebooted computer
Don’t believe anything has been changed with firewall settings.

Please advise if you need to see windows logs
Thanks in advance for your assistance - I love Roon!

Hi @Dan_Hench,

Welcome to the forum!

When you say dedicated as Roon Server, are you using a RoonServer + RoonUI setup here?

As in you downloaded the separate Roon Server package and this runs in the system tray bar? Or are you using the Roon “All-in-one” app that has both Server and UI functionality?

If you have the RoonServer + RoonUI combo setup, is it just the RoonUI that crashes (while RoonServer continues to run properly)?

Hi Norris,

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly – see responses to your questions in Italics below.

Thanks!

Dan

Welcome to the forum!

Lenovo X1 Laptop (dedicated as Roon Server, no other programs running in background)

When you say dedicated as Roon Server, are you using a RoonServer + RoonUI setup here?

The Roon Core is running on this laptop – so it is what I was calling the Roon “Server” I opted at the time for this as opposed to using something like an Intel NUC; this was before the Roon Nucleus existed. The RoonUI displays on this machine although I do not access to navigate Roon. I access through the Roon apps which are installed on another laptop and iPhone.

As in you downloaded the separate Roon Server package and this runs in the system tray bar? Or are you using the Roon “All-in-one” app that has both Server and UI functionality?

I am using the “all in one” app with both Server and UI functionality. I don’t recall if there was a separate Roon server package only option available when I set up back in 2017. Should I change the installation to this? Would it run better with just that program and only indicating running in the tray icon? Note, I will shut the laptop down periodically (obviously when not using Roon).

If you have the RoonServer + RoonUI combo setup, is it just the RoonUI that crashes (while RoonServer continues to run properly)?

Everything crashes – the Roon apps running on the separate Laptop and iPhone say “waiting for remote core”.

The configuration on the laptop has been working perfectly since installation in 2017 (although once in a while my Tidal account doesn’t connect for some reason). It was odd, after posting the issue over the weekend; I tried starting again and the core ran for about 30 minutes and then closed. It then reverted back to running for less than a minute after being started and the programing closing. I also noticed (for the brief time when the program was running) that the cover art for albums (in the “overview” selection of the UI) no longer shows on the computer display running the Core, they are blank gray rectangles. Everything else looks the same, again for the brief time the program runs.

Thanks again and please let me know if you need additional info.

Best - Dan

1 Like

Hi Noris - Checking back in if you need any info. in addition to my replies to your questions in the thread. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Dan_Hench,

Thanks for confirming that you are using the “All-in-one” installation and the crashing behavior, this is helpful to note!

You don’t need to change it to a RoonServer + RoonUI setup right now, I suggest that we take a look at your Roon logs immediately after this issue occurs to see if we can gather more clues.

Can I please ask that you use these instructions to send me a copy of your Roon logs right after the issue occurs? Any issues accessing or sending logs, just let me know, thanks!

Hi Noris - here are the logs and thanks!

1 Like

Hi @Dan_Hench,

Thanks for sending these logs over! I’m seeing an interesting trace contained in them, let me get these over to our QA team for further analysis and once I have their take on this issue, I will reach out again!

Hi @Dan_Hench,

I’ve just followed up via private message (green “1” in the notifications area)!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.