Roon Core Machine

Mac 10.15

Networking Gear & Setup Details

netgrear switch

Connected Audio Devices

dcs bartok and kef ls50

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I can only use Roon by screen sharing on to the Mac running core. As soon as I remote from a Mac or my phone it crashes!!

This is my second attempt to contact you.

Welcome to the community Noah, it might be worth having a read through the help section to make sure all the requirements for Roon installation and correct functionality have been met.

If you’re happy with configuration try rebooting your router first followed by each connected device (hardwired and wifi), this may resolve your problems. Your core device should be hardwired to the router, control devices can connect via wifi.

Much more detail is available at:-

Sorry. I have installed. Then removed and reinstalled and repeated on the Mac running Roon core and on the Mac running remote. I have rebooted all machines. I am looking for some more involved assistance than check your cables and restart. The machines are all hard wired to the switch. Everything worked great for several months but now fails constantly. The only thing o can think of is that room sent out a update that is faulty or incompatible with one of my machines. Please help

Also sorry, your profile suggests you’re a new user, my mistake.

You will probably need to add a bit more information, Version of MacOS, Amount of Ram, Type of control devices etc. as support will need that and it may give other community contributors a chance to help you.

Thanks. Yes of course.
I have tried two different Macs as Roon cores in case it was a problem on that side. A Mac mini running 10.15.7 with 8 GB ram and v1.8 (build 970) and a Mac Pro 2013 running 10.14.6 with 64 Gb ram also v1.8 (build 970). It crashes in 5-30 seconds of starting playback. The remote is an iPhone 12 pro with ios 15.3. But, if I play music using the controls on the core machine it does not crash! This is very hard since it involves screen sharing to the core machine from a laptop.

It’s probably not the cause but, iPadOS 15.5 is the current build. I’m running that on my 12.9 pro without issues.

I agree. I am running the update right now on the iPhone. But the problem is also when remote controlling Roon from the Mac.

Yup. now running iOS 15.5 and using the remote is crashing Roon core.

Nightmare, I hope @support get on it soon :crossed_fingers:t4:

Paul. Sorry to ask you so many questions, I had thought you were Roon support. Again, thanks for responding.

No worries, frequently community members help to resolve issues before support gets involved. Unfortunately it’s not the case here :roll_eyes:

More hardware details about the macs with this failing are needed.

Have you tried running the normal roon (remote client) as the core?

How did you get the database from one to the other?

Have you tied a clean database as a test by renaming the server folder?

Hi @noah_herzog,

So we can better assist you, please provide a detailed description of your current setup using this the template in your initial post as a guide. Presently, we don’t have much in the way of details to begin.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, as well as a thorough overview of how your devices are connected to the network and each other so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating. Thanks

Sure thing…see below… Not sure if you noticed but I have had this issue for over a week with no help from you guys. Is this your normal procedure? I am very unhappy that no one is bothering to get back to me. When I had a problem setting up another Roon system no one replied for a 20 days and Rebeka was nice enough to apologize when she replied.

I don’t know if this is what you are asking for but …The switch is a netgear gs724tp. The Bartok is wired with a home run to the switch. The Kef LS50 wireless ii are wifi to the switch. There is no library only Qubuz and Tidal streaming.

Please let me know if you have anything to add.

Hey @noah_herzog,

I see that you’ve opened another thread with a similar issue to your previous thread.

Per my last follow up, please try the following:

To confirm, do you have both the Roon-all in one app as well as Roonserver installed on your core? If so, please remove one of the two. We have not pushed any additional updates since build 970.

If you are only seeing the crashing occur on one of your remotes, I would also recommend reinstalling Roon on that device. Uninstall>restart the device>Reintall.

Also, please try to remove everything from your setup and try playing audio from your system output alone. If possible, bypass your netgear switch and route your core directly to your router.

In the meantime, we’ll take a look at your logs to try and better identify what might be causing this crashing. Follow these steps to send us your log set:

• restart your Roon Core
  • reproduce the behavior and write down the local date and time
  • immediately after, grab a set of logs , zip up the entire Logs folder and upload it to our drive

I will consolidate your threads to this current topic to better keep track of this issue. Thanks!

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini OS 10.15.7

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear switch ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Kef Ls50 wireless 2

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon is crashing after 10-30 seconds of playing to Kef speakers. It is not crashing when playing to Lumin x1 DAC.

Hey @noah_herzog,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and welcome to the community! I’m sorry that it was an issue that prompted your first post. Let’s dig into your issue further.

Have you tried bypassing your network switch and connecting your core directly to your router? Let me know if Roon still crashes.

With the note on Roon crashing only when using the Kef speakers, I’m curious to know if you’ve updated to the latest firmware for the speakers? Here is a link to the LS50 support page.

Have you also tried resetting the speakers? A factory reset will remove any customizations on the speakers, but may help in this case.

How do the speakers sound when they are playing music?

If possible, try to grab a timestamp of the next time Roon crashes, that way our team can take a deeper look into your account around the time of the crash.

Lastly, if you haven’t checked out our community page around the Kef LS50, take a look here.

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

Sorry, I wrote about the KEFs before I fully tested things. The LS50’s are v2.4 the latest. My DCS Dac is also crashing. It is running the latest 2.00 It works absolutely fine when I operate it from the core machine but that is very difficult to do. As soon as I control it from my phone or my laptop using the app it crashes. And it worked great on this network for months. I am confused. Please advise what I can do to test.

Thank you
Noah

Benjamin, There are so many crashes that if there is a log you should see one after the other in there. I have tried two different Macs as Roon cores in case it was a problem on that side. A Mac mini running 10.15.7 with 8 GB ram and v1.8 (build 970) and a Mac Pro 2013 running 10.14.6 with 64 Gb ram also v1.8 (build 970). It crashes in 5-30 seconds of starting playback. The remote is an iPhone 12 pro with ios 15.5. But, if I play music using the controls on the core machine it does not crash! This is very hard since it involves screen sharing to the core machine from a laptop.

I would really appreciate some serious help. This setup was great until the last 2 weeks. I feel like something changed on the Roon software side. Was there an update you guys pushed out to us that might be causing the conflicts. I cannot revert back to an older version of Roon core because then the remote is smart enough to say you need an update.

Again if I screen share onto my core machine which is in a closet with no monitor attached it plays music and does not crash. But I cannot remote control Roon with my Mac or my iPhone. So basically I cannot listen to music. Please let me know what to try to troubleshoot.

Hey @noah_herzog,

Thanks for the information. To confirm, do you have both the Roon-all in one app as well as Roonserver installed on your core? If so, please remove one of the two. We have not pushed any additional updates since build 970.

If you are only seeing the crashing occur on one of your remotes, I would also recommend reinstalling Roon on that device. Uninstall>restart the device>Reintall.

Also, please try to remove everything from your setup and try playing audio from your system output alone. If possible, bypass your netgear switch and route your core directly to your router.

In the meantime, we’ll take a look at your logs to try and better identify what might be causing this crashing. Follow these steps to send us your log set:

• restart your Roon Core
  • reproduce the behavior and write down the local date and time
  • immediately after, grab a set of logs , zip up the entire Logs folder and upload it to our drive
1 Like