Roon crashes while adding more than 20 bands in DSP Parametric EQ

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon build number: 416

Description Of Issue

1. Add a Parametric EQ in DSP setting.
  2. Keep adding bands, it’s all OK adding up to 20 bands.
  3. When add the 21th band, Roon crashes
  4. Restart Roon, it keeps crashing when entering the Parametric EQ area.
  5. I can only solve this situation via Reset all settings to Default.

@support I can replicate the bug identified by @Chih_Hung_Weng
MacOS Roon all in one last version, Mojave 10.14.4.
Not that 20+ bands is not a common use case, but the app shouldn’t crash.

I’m curious as to how many bands were you intending/needing to add? If more than 20 were possible without crashing, Roon would hit resource issues at some point. Agree entirely that it shouldn’t crash but resource limits will impact the audio in some way when the limit is reached.

Hi @Chih_Hung_Weng,

I’ve passed this along to our technical team for investigation. Thanks for the report!

Hi @Chih_Hung_Weng,

I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!

Parametric EQ is not very ressource intensive, a biquad implementation typically requires approx. 10 operations per sample, modern CPUs are capable of several order of magnitude more load.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.