Roon crashing after a few seconds of music repeatedly tonight

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus, Roon B528.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet directly from Virgin Media Hub 3.0 router to Nucleus.
Wifi to my Pro-Ject streamer.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Topping D10 USB DAC.

Description Of Issue
@support

Hi again, my Nucleus or Roon itself keeps freezing after a short amount of a track. It’ll play fine, the suddenly there’s silence and the counter goes back to zero. I press play again and it starts again. It then crashes again a short time later.

This has happened many times this evening. I’ve rebooted the Nucleus and reset my router, and the situation remains the same. Earlier, tonight the Roon screen went blank and when it came back all the new Tidal albums I’d added today were wiped. Had to find them all again from the search terms I’d used. It’s very weird.

This has happened a few months ago as well but I just left it and hoped it would work again after a while. Afterall, computers seem to have a mind of their own!

Anyone know what’s wrong here and what can I do?

Hi @Woo,

Does this happen if you play to a different endpoint besides the Pro-Ject?

Is this happening with local content, streaming content, or both?

Hi Dylan,

Just been investigating further this morning, it happens with all files - local or Tidal. The same issue occurred when I just tried using my main system again, then thought I’d try using the headphone output on my iPad and so far it’s not happened again. I’ve nearly got through a whole album now.

I’m thinking it’s the DAC again - the Topping D10 is not Roon Tested. My biggest issues with Roon have been when using USB DACs. It seems that unless a DAC is certified Roon Tested, it’s a lottery over whether it’ll cause intermittent crashes with Roon.

My old Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC caused my initial Windows laptop-based Roon core to crash frequently during my trial period, then I got my Nucleus and it crashed it in a slightly different way. So far, the Roon/ Nucleus/Pro-Jeff Streamer/Topping DAC has been better behaved, but seems to have gotten much worse the last two days.

I’ve just ordered a modestly-priced Pro-Ject DAC which is Roon Tested, so I’m hoping that all will be well. There really needs to be a warning about using non-Roon Tested USB DACs with Roon. Roon and USB DACs certainly shouldn’t be assumed to work together unless explicitly tested for the purpose. It’s not something I see mentioned though.

@dylan

My partner looked into this for me and found an update that needed doing on the Pro-Ject streamer since 10th February. All seems to be working fine now. I assume the problem was actually caused by the streamer not being fully compatible with the new Roon version from a few months ago?

Hi @Woo,

That’s great news! It is possible that outdated firmware didn’t have some bug fixes that required for your streamer to work properly.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.