Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi 6 AX200

Connected Audio Devices

Musical Fidelity M1DAC
Musical Fidelity X-A1 integrated amplifier

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon crashes the second anything is played

Hey @Gareth_Jones1 thanks for letting us know that you’ve been experiencing this, we’re sorry to hear this!

When you say that it’s crashing, is the crash completely closing the app, or is playback just stopping? Do you receive any error messages? A screenshot of any error messages would be very helpful!

Does this happen if you play to a different or certain endpoint? Do you notice if this happens with certain tracks - TIDAL/Qobuz/Local?

Thanks!

Hi Ashley,

The app will not play music, which is fundamental. This is on the pc which is the core, the music is all on the hard drive, I never use Tidal or other services. This is a recurring problem. If there is no permanent fix I will have to cancel my subscription. Have deleted & reinstalled roon, no change. Have restarted pc, no change. Uninstalled all sound devices, restarted pc, this forced Windows 10 to reinstall devices & drivers, then roon did work, let’s see if that continues… No, played part of an album, jumped to last song, now won’t play, won’t load album, this app gets worse not better over time. Please come back to me with a fix.

Hey Gareth,

We need to have a look into your log to understand the issue. We will get back to you soon.

Hi @Gareth_Jones1,

Two possible causes come to mind:

We’ve seen Windows updates cause issues with graphics drivers which results in this behavior. Windows’ automatic driver updates can sometimes be a bit unreliable, and we’ve seen direct downloads from the manufacturer help in cases where Windows installations did not, so it’s worth a try if you haven’t gone that route.

Please follow these steps:

• quit Roon
  • reboot the Windows machine
    • Turn off your Roon Core
    • Unplug your Core for a few minutes
    • Plug the Core back in
    • Turn on the Core
  • uninstall your graphics drivers
  • navigate to the manufacturer’s website for your Graphics Card (for example, a popular one is NVIDIA) and download the graphics drivers directly from there
  • install the graphics drivers
  • relaunch Roon and check your audio devices page.

Second,

It looks like you’re using the Realtek Audio Drivers with your DAC. Realtek drivers can be problematic with some devices. Go into your Device Settings on Windows and disable the Realtek driver and set the generic High Definition Audio Driver as the default. Restart your Windows machine and let us know if you’re able to play music after this change.

Please let us know if this helps.