Roon crashing my internet

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
i7-8086K 64GB RAM 64-bit OS Win10

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Centurylink Fios GIG service

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Lumin X1 Fiber optic connection

Description Of Issue

Roon consistently crashes my internet connection. While listening to Roon from my desktop to the Lumin X1, if I change songs or albums, my internet will crash. The Roon app then becomes unresponsive to anything but a hard shutdown and even that takes some time to respond. The only solution is to run the Network Troubleshooter which solves the issue by resetting the Ethernet adapter.
This does not occur at any other time outside of running Roon. If it were occasional I could live with it but having to reset several times an hour is VERY FRUSTRATING!

Please help

Strange, I did reply but I don’t see the post anywhere.

So initially I just had the 1 problem: Roon crashing my internet. But i started this post because after trying to reinstall several times Roon would not start up. I would just have the loading Logo and nothing more. I eventually solved this by following the suggestion to root out all the sub-menu and try again.

That being done I was still left with the original problem of the crashing internet that the reinstall didn’t fix. So I started a new thread specific to just the internet issue. That thread now appears to be locked. The title of this thread does not represent my current issue.

Can we close this thread and re-open the my 2nd one?

Hi @William_Kaplan,

I have re-opened this thread as you requested. Can you let me know if the “internet crashing” behavior affects other apps outside of Roon (such as your internet browsers - Google / Firefox / ect.)?

What causes this behavior, does it happen as soon as Roon is opened or does it occur only after performing as specific action in Roon?

Well it affects other apps in so much as they will not load a home page as there’s no internet connection.

I can replicate it fairly reliably by switching between tracks maybe 5 seconds apart. If I press pause in between doing so it doesn’t seem to happen as often. Yesterday it did this on startup before i played a single track. However, if I don’t touch it and let it run continuously in the background it runs fine. That is until I change tracks again.

Hi @William_Kaplan,

Can I please ask that you reproduce this issue and note the exact local time + date it occurs at and let me know here? I would like to see if the diagnostics from your Core indicate any issues in the Roon logs and I can go ahead and enable this diagnostics mode once I know the time of occurrence.

Also, can you please provide some more information regarding your network setup? Are you using WiFi or Ethernet for your Core connection? Are you using the built-in network adapter or any USB -> Ethernet/WiFi adapters?

Ethernet, no WiFi or USB Ethernet adapters.

3:10 pm pst, just initiated it changing 4 tracks

Hi @William_Kaplan,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp. I have activated diagnostics mode for your Roon account and what this action should do is automatically upload a log set to our servers for analysis. I have been keeping an eye out for this report, but unfortunately I am not seeing it being delivered, can you please use these instructions to manually send me a copy of your logs via a Dropbox / Google Drive link? If you don’t have either service just let me know and we can discuss alternate upload destinations. Thanks!

Sorry, I don’t have either of those.

Hi @William_Kaplan,

I just sent you a private message with alternate upload instructions (green “1” in the notifications area).

File sent, let me know if it’s correct

Hello @William_Kaplan,

Thank you for sending the log files over. I have discussed them with the technical team and we have a few questions to proceed with troubleshooting:

1. Do you have any firewalls or antivirus applications active on the Core which could be interfering with Roon?

2. Are you using any VPN or VOIP software on the Core?

3. Are any other PCs on the network impacted by this behavior or is the Core PC the only one exhibiting these symtpoms?

4. If you have another PC around the house and temporarily host the Roon Core on another PC, do you experience the same behavior there? To do so, you can use these instructions:

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Hi Noris,

Sorry for the delay, just saw your message:
  1. No, it has full permission access through the firewall and I’m not running any anti-virus ware on this machine.
  2. No VPN, i do have Discord on the machine but it’s disabled, not active.
  3. Only 1 pc in the house.
    4)No, I do not have another PC. However, this one is a state of the art build, I can’t imagine another would be able to run better. I can however grab a laptop from work but I will be old and dated.

I was able to get through an entire weekend without it dropping this past week. If I pause every song, and waited a few seconds before switching to a new song, it never disconnected. Is that something of note?

Hi @William_Kaplan,

Not quite, but it seems like keeping an active network connection is triggering this behavior, which is very strange.

It would be good to test another Core to see if the issue reproduces there, so if you are able to borrow a laptop just to confirm that this is not the network causing this behavior, that would be a good test.

I wonder if this is the Ethernet adapter itself. I would also check to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your Ethernet card.

Please find out all the IP addresses of all devices on your network, including moblie devices via WiFi. Look for IP address conflict - two or more devices having the same IP address.

If you’re not having an IP address conflict, I agree with noris that your Ethernet adapter is suspicious. Manually find and update the latest Ethernet driver for it instead of Windows update. Then look for an advanced property called Energy Saving Ethernet, turn it off, and reboot the Roon Core desktop.

Another test you may do is to power off every other network device temporarily, including mobile devices, leaving only Roon Core desktop and Lumin. Stress the playback and see if you still have problem.

1 Like

I updated the drivers for the Modem, net adapter and anything related to the internet connection.
No conflicting IP’s on connected devices.
Disconnected all devices on network except the phone as the remote. The disconnected phone and used Ipad for the remote.
Turned off Energy Saving through device manager.

None of this has made the slightest difference.

Tomorrow I’ll pick up an old Laptop from work and try to use it as a core to see what happens.

1 Like

Hi @William_Kaplan,

Do let me know how this test goes!

2 posts were split to a new topic: Opening Roon app causes network issues

Actually I gave up on using my pc. I permanently checked out a laptop from work and it works like a charm.

Hi @William_Kaplan,

Thanks for the update here, glad to hear that the new PC is working out as expected!
It’s hard to say why just the other PC was impacted by this behavior.
I’m going to go ahead and close this case out but if you have further issues, just let us know.

I think your original PC has a hardware Ethernet fault. In case you would like to diagnose this further, the next step would be to purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter, and use this instead of the on-board Ethernet. And disable the Ethernet driver of the on-board one.