Roon crashing on M1 Macbook Air (using as remote)

Roon Core Machine

This machine is not having issues, nor are there issues with networking

Description of Issue

The Roon desktop app version 1.8 (build 936) keep locking up on my M1 Macbook Air with 8GB RAM. I’m using this Roon install as a remote to control my Roon ROCK server. The software becomes frozen and unusable, and I must force quit and restart to recover. This does not affect my music playback as I’m running off Ifi Zen Streams.

This is a new issue that is now occurring several times daily. I believe it started after the last Roon update.

Thanks.

I am seeing something similar on my Macbook Pro running Mac OS 12.3.1 and the latest roon build - It has hung requiring a force quit, but then restarting Roon hangs in the same place.

More severe problem on my MacBook Pro running MacOS 12.3.1 on build 936, happens every day. It just crashes (core dumps).

PS: I was using a Windows 11 surface pro 8 as a roon remote, so Roon kept crash on some previous builds, so I was fed up, gave my laptop to someone, and bough a Macbook Pro to be used as a Roon Remote instead, and then Roon remote (build 936) keeps crashing. Oh Well !!! I thought it was a smart move to run away from the Roon crash issue.

Hey @Ryan_Hutchins,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question, it’s great to see you again! My apologies for the delayed response and for your wait. We’ve made some recent changes to the support team structure and some reports have experienced a longer response time than usual.

I’m sorry to hear that you were having issues with your M1 Roon Remote crashing. Since some time has passed I wanted to touch base to get your current status. After taking a look at your account, I wanted to see if you’re still having these issues with the latest Roon build (952) updated on your device?

If you’re still experiencing this problem and need assistance please let us know. We’ll be watching for your reply and get back in touch as quickly as we can. Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks. Still crashing regularly.

Hey @Ryan_Hutchins,

Thanks for following up and letting me know! Could you share a timestamp when you get the issue to recur?

After digging into your account further, the issue you’re experiencing is a more widespread issue that we are currently tracking and working on a fix. The good news here is that we have a solution we’re implementing soon! You can check this thread for updates.

If you’d like, we can make a backend settings change to your account to improve behavior in the meantime. Let me know if this is something you’d like us to do :+1:

That’s good to hear. I’ll share next time it happens. The backend settings change would be great. thank you.

1 Like

Happened just now:

Date/Time: 2022-06-17 16:28:23.059 -0400
End time: 2022-06-17 16:28:24.882 -0400
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1 (Build 21D62)
Architecture: arm64e
Report Version: 35
Incident Identifier: AF2CC439-907D-4AEC-9EE2-A2E4E77DFE35

Command: Roon
Path: /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon
Identifier: com.roon.Roon
Version: ??? (1.0)
Team ID: WU8DGC424P
Architecture: x86_64 (translated)
PID: 37083
Time Since Fork: 247550s

Event: hang
Duration: 1.82s
Steps: 19 (100ms sampling interval)

Hey @Ryan_Hutchins,

I wanted to check in on this thread, and see if you’re still experiencing your issue after updating to the newest Roon build 970?

Let me know!

Yup, just happened. I’d had the Roon desktop app open but minimized on my Mac. I opened it up and the app froze immediately. After force quitting and reloading it was stable again. Seems to happen every time I don’t use the app for a while but keep it open.

Thanks for letting me know @Ryan_Hutchins!

After digging into your account a bit more, we’ve noticed that you are using multiple monitors. Are you able to provide more information on each external display that you’re using?

Does this issue happen only when Roon is on an external monitor? What model monitor and graphics card does the PC have?

We’re also seeing an interesting jump in RAM on your system which could be related as well.

1 Like

I’m using my Macbook Air with an external display: An LG 27UN850-W

I’m not sure if it’s happened when I wasn’t using the external display since I really only do that at work (and my Roon ROCK is at home).

Roon’s been more stable today – don’t think it’s crashed once. Maybe it’s resolved.

1 Like

Hey @Ryan_Hutchins,

Interesting! Certainly let me know if your issue does pop back up.

I’m not sure if it’s happened when I wasn’t using the external display since I really only do that at work (and my Roon ROCK is at home).

Do you mean the crashing typically only happens when you’re at home, not using any external displays, and only your Macbook air as a remote?

I mean that I only use Roon at home, almost always when it’s docked with the external monitor. So can’t say.

This is still happening. I leave my Macbook Air alone for a length of time, with the Roon app running, and when I pull Roon back up it hangs. Shows “not responding” in activity monitor. Sometimes it recovers, but usually I have to force quit and open the app again. This is really not good. I love Roon and I know how hard it is for a small company to keep a complex suite of software running smoothly, but this is not what I should be experiencing for $120 a year. Thanks.

Hey @Ryan_Hutchins,

Sorry to hear you’re experiencing this issue again. If possible, could you please send over a few timestamps of when the hang occurs? That way, we can enable diagnostics on your account and take a deeper look specifically around the time of the issue.

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.