Roon crashing on saturdays

Wow! Even while not playing music, navigating I Roon takes forever. Scanning files takes an eternity.

Windows defender seems to be off doing things on the network.
Don’t want to stop that but perhaps get 7 day trial of another antivirus app and disable defender afterward and see if it makes any difference.

We never asked where your music files are stored?

@bigj you said 512gb ram…I think you mean ssd size…but how much ram do you have.

Turn off the antivirus scans too…maybe that’s what’s happening on a Saturday?

About 1/3 of my library is on a NAS. The rest is Tidal. I cleaned up my library a few hours ago and now I can play.

Oops. I have a 128gb SSD and 8gb RAM.

Hi @bigj,

Glad to hear that cleaning up the library has helped with this behavior. If this occurs again, it like a firewall may be blocking proper communication through Roon.

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have.

Please do keep me posted if the issues re-occur and if adding exceptions to your firewall help with these issues.

Thanks noris. A friend with very good pc skills stopped by. He recommended a new installation of windows. I started that last night. But."… forgot to save the Roon database😱. Nothing I can do about that, right? Also, do I need to install Tidal or can Roon include that? I’m gonna try to keep the pc as simple as possible.

No. In Roon, you sign into Tidal as a service. Nothing needs to be installed there.

1 Like

Did you back up your PC? I back up to an external USB drive and a cloud service.

Hi @bigj,

If you didn’t use Roon’s Backup system to save a copy of the database, not much can be done here unfortunately…

That is correct, you don’t need the TIDAL app to use Roon, it is integrated inside when you install Roon.

1 Like

Backup for future reference can back up to multiple locations so no excuse to not take advantage and back up to external usb or other devices next time too.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.