Roon crashing on start - Mac Mini (late 2009)

I’ve been happily getting to know roon over the last week or so. Today, roon crashed soon after waking the computer (Mac mini late 2009 running 10.11.6). I tried to restart roon several times without success and several times more after rebooting the computer. I haven’t had any issues before today. The app opens, the splash screeen quote appears, then presents either a white page with the animated icon or blank window. Once or twice an artist page loaded, the last played yesterday. On one attempt there was a notification that there was an update available, then crash.

I suspect that roon is attempting to download and install the update but cannot. It runs long enough for me to go to preferences, but hangs after clicking account. I wanted to try to turn off automatic updates, but cannot.

I’d appreciate any help getting roon back up and running.

That machine is woefully under spec to run roon core…just sayin’

http://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F

Yep, I agree. That said, with 8 GB or RAM it __was__doing just fine. I’d just like to know what’s causing it to crash now.

Hi @Duncan_Duncan ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your observations with us. Both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, I agree with @wizardofoz 's comment that the mentioned MacMini is indeed a bit under powered, but, I would still like to see if we can figure out what is going on here with your Roon setup :wink:

In light of this recent observation (i.e Roon crashing), has anything changed in your setup over the last week or so? My assumption is that the answer to this question will be, “no” but please verify. Remember, no detail is too small.

Furthermore, you mentioned that you think that the application may have been trying to take the most recent update (i.e Build269). Have you tried grabbing the last version of the application from our website?

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Thanks for getting back to me. I was quite surprised that roon would run at all on this machine, but it did fine, only eating up about 55% of CPU while playing and browsing the library. It’s a modestly large iTunes library, around 46,000 tracks a large percentage of them ripped as lossless files, which Roon is accessing. I do have a much newer 2017 iMac in another room from which I could stream Roon, but it would be much less convenient than using the Mini in this system. In the Mini system, Roon plays through to a NAD DAC 2. I don’t upsample and the DSP engine is disabled.

To answer your question, no, noting was changed. Here’s what I’ve done so far. I completely uninstalled Roon, including all library and preferences files. I downloaded again Roon from the website and reinstalled. I logged in and went directly to About Roon thinking I could turn off automatic updates before they occurred, but I was too late. Build 269 had already downloaded. I restarted Roon, now running Build 269, and was able to reconnect to the iTunes library. It seemed to be working fine, then crash. It was adding tracks to Roon and was playing. I restarted Roon and it’s been running now for about 20 minutes so far. I can send you the problem report generated by the OS if that would help.
Thanks

Hi @Duncan_Duncan ---- Thank you for touching base with me and taking the time to answer my questions, both are appreciated.

I went ahead and enabled diagnostics on your account so can get some feedback on your system, along with a set of logs :sunglasses: If you could send the OSX crash report over to me that’d be great. Would it be possible for you to provide it to me in a shared dropbox link?

Furthermore, I know you mentioned that you like having Roon hosted on the “MacMini system” for connivence purposes, but have you considered trying to run RoonServer there instead possible? As we discussed the machine is a bit under spec so you may have a better experience with the device just hosting RoonServer and allowing other devices to control it. Just something to consider.

-Eric

Thanks again for looking into this. I realize this system isn’t fully supported and I don’t expect this much support. But I appreciate the effort, for certain. I’ve been running Roon now for a couple of days since reinstalling with no issues whatsoever. If it becomes unstable, I will pursue the server route.

As an aside, I am a 15+ year user of iTunes and Roon is the only viable music management alternative to iTunes I’ve ever seen. And I’ve tried all of them offered for Mac OS. Amarra, Audirvana, Pure Music, each has a unique sonic character, but none of them is nearly as pleasant to use as Roon.

No problem, @Duncan_Duncan! Confirming that all materials have been received and are in our queue for analysis by a member of our tech team.

Once I have some feedback, I will be sure to update you in a timely manor. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

Hi @Duncan_Duncan ----- Thank you for your patience while our team has been examining the information found in the diagnostics report.

Moving forward, I wanted to touch base and see how things are holding up? Have there been any new observations made since we last spoke. Furthermore, the team has noted that they are not seeing anything “out of the normal” in your logs that would be pointing to the cause of this behavior.

-Eric

HI Eric,

Roon has been running problem-free. I’ve given it normal use; hours and hours of playback, importing tracks, re-syncing with iTunes, and so on for the last ten days or so without a hitch or undue stress on the CPU. I can live with an occasional crash, even iTunes has its moments, but Roon has been stable since the update. Thanks again for looking into the problem. If crashing becomes an issue again, I’ll try Roon server or move Roon to another computer.

Hi @Duncan_Duncan ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing a status update. The feedback is appreciated!

Moving forward, I am going to be closing this thread, but, if any additional issues come about in relation to this report please drop me a line and I will gladly re-open to continue troubleshooting with you.

Happy listening!
-Eric