Roon Crashing on Startup - Odd behavior I can replicate to trigger a crash. - Secondary monitor crash

Roon Core Machine

Roon version 2.0 build 1193 64 bit
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengence RGB Pro
SSD: OS and Roon: Samsung 980 Pro
SSD: Music folder: Samsung 850 EVO
GPU: Nvidia 4090

All drivers are the latest available including Bios drivers.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

No network involved on this. Single machine server, library, listening device.

Connected Audio Devices

DAC USB connected: Topping D90SE Plugged into Monoprice THX 887

Number of Tracks in Library

1118 tracks in library.

Description of Issue

Suffering from the dreaded crash on startup. I have been stable for a while. I replaced my primary monitor and moved that monitor to a secondary monitor and then added a 3rd monitor. What I have learned so far is this:

I reinstalled roon as I was getting crashes. Roon launches and I start redoing everything in the settings and identifying albums etc. I had roon up on a secondary monitor while I worked and then closed it on this secondary monitor. The next day I came back and launched roon. I got crashes on startup with roon everytime. Uninstalled roon and reinstalled roon and its fine. I close it at the end of the day and come back the next day and I get crashes on startup.

Through troubleshooting I renamed the DB folder - this allows roon to open but then crash once closed and reopened. I discovered that if I open roon on primary monitor it never crashes. If I move it to the secondary monitor (either one of the two secondary monitors) close roon and then reopen it I get the crash on startup. Since roon crashes and I cant really move it to another monitor to close it it reopens at the last known spot each time. If I go into the display settings in windows and change the secondary monitor to be the main monitor and open roon - roon opens up no problem. I then move it to the real primary monitor and close it. This primary monitor in windows settings is considered a secondary monitor at this point. If I open roon again start up crashes. If you go back into windows display settings and change the monitor to main monitor roon will open everytime.

I honestly have no idea how to even describe this other than roon will not open on a secondary display that is not considered the main display within windows. Please let me know if I can provide any other information. I could even setup some screen recording software to capture the behavior if needed. I can reproduce this at any time. Windows logs only show an application hang. Maybe this is a bug?

Doing a forum search on ‘second monitor’, I see a lot of threads.

While you’re waiting for support, look at a few. Maybe your solution is in there?

Are your video drivers up to date and from the card maker, not Microsoft?

I have a similar issue with a dual monitor setup.
It’s a fairly recent development and if memory serves Roon are aware of it.

Here’s my workaround:
Before opening Roon turn off all but the primary monitor.
Launch Roon.
Power on secondary monitor.
Wait for Windows to calm itself.
Drag Roon to Secondary monitor.

When shutting down I use Hibernate rather than Sleep or Power Off.
Next startup everything works as it should.

Hey @KALIN_KINGSLAND,

Thanks for your patience while we work through each thread. As a next step, we’ll need you to reproduce the crash, and then send over the log set from the crashing remote.

Please use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader. I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.