Roon Crashing repeatedly, please help troubleshoot

Roon Core Machine

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i5-4670T CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)
Windows 10 Pro

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core connected to ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge CXN v2 - connected to ethernet, using Roon for streaming. RCA out to AMP

Number of Tracks in Library

12300 tracks

Description of Issue

Quite surprised by the fact that Roon keeps crashing. I have a decently powerful little computer reserved just for Roon. 8GBs is perhaps on the small side, and could look to increase this. I’m running a memory test to ensure the problems doesn’t stem from memory, but I’ve gotten no errors yet.

Yesterday it happened while I was listening to music. Also prior to it, it was very sluggish. It would take seconds before playing a song. Sometimes it would pause during a song. Clearly the computer was struggling, just wonder if the logs can point us to what ails it so I can address.

Thanks!

Hi Hugo,

The support team is weekdays so I am sure they will be by then. I am a fellow user with some questions.

Is the music you were listening to local files or streamed from the internet?

Besides the Roon logs, you might want to check Windows Event Viewer to see if Windows logs have any indication . Is the computer running any other software, or is it dedicated to Roon only?

Hugo, in addition to what Rugby noted, is this PC dedicated to Roon or are you running other applications while the Roon Core is running? Also, are you on the latest build, 936?

Hi Rugby - Thanks for responding. I know support is away and this can wait until the week.

I did and do look periodically at event viewer…many repeated mentions of roon.exe crashing … some of it cryptic, but i’ll paste some example:

As you can see, not always easy to decipher what the problem is. Maybe someone else can.

Nothing else is running (aside from normal Windows system processes while Core is running. I have this pc specifically for Roon, prior to it it was on a docker. Looking back, the docker was a bit more reliable. I’m hping this is RAM related.

:slight_smile:

Application: Roon.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
   at Broo.Gdi.SwapBuffers(IntPtr)
   at Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.End()
   at Broo.Engine.Engine.Render()
   at Broo.Engine.DeviceTarget.GuiMainLoop()
   at Sooloos.Application.Main(System.String[])
Faulting application name: Roon.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x626aea7d
Faulting module name: ig75icd64.dll, version: 10.18.15.4248, time stamp: 0x5591e8b9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000017259
Faulting process ID: 0x268c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d85c413b198a26
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Roon\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\Roon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ig75icd64.dll
Report ID: e09d96f9-8819-465d-9f2b-36be866d9d94
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Roon.exe
P2: 1.0.0.0
P3: 626aea7d
P4: ig75icd64.dll
P5: 10.18.15.4248
P6: 5591e8b9
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000017259
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER2DF6.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Roon.exe_37a6de39f042efd7b1a6eaf37f685f2cb5a61dbf_d4462109_52ab6e30-50e2-470a-8bec-854c89376543

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: e09d96f9-8819-465d-9f2b-36be866d9d94
Report Status: 100
Hashed bucket: 
Cab Guid: 0

Hi Robert_F - yes latest build.

Also, there’s nothing wrong with your CPU or RAM. Your library is small and 8GB is more than adequate. So, don’t worry about having to change anything in that regard.

After (or even before) you get this straightened out, and since your computer is strictly for Roon, you might consider putting ROCK on it rather than Roon under WIN10. You didn’t say if it was a NUC or not, but that probably won’t matter. You should still be able to run ROCK on it.

There is an older thread from 2019 where this problem was solved by updating .NET on the Roon server machine. This solution was proposed by @Rugby.

Here’s another relevant thread which might possibly be of help:

I would start with updating the graphics drivers from the manufacturer’s site (NVIDIA?), not from Microsoft’s update page.

Hey thanks. I want to 2nd @Andreas_Philipp1 suggestion to start with loading the latest graphics drivers from your video cards manufacturer. Do not rely on the driver’s given to you via Windows Update.

If you need some help in finding them, post the make modelmod the computer or GPU being used.

Thanks all - I installed the latest graphics card from INTEL. The GPU is integrated. I’ll report back if there are any issues. Hopefully that does the trick.

H

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.