Roon crashing when scanning

Did you ever figure this out? I’m having the same issue, I’m trying to get help from support.

The same issue may have a different root cause. You should start another thread giving full details of your system and the issue.

Hello @Brian_Garwood ,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Commenting back here unless someone finds it from searching.
A corrupt PNG image was causing roon to crash, not any music file. Deleting this file resolved the issue.

1 Like

How did you find the corrupt file?

I split my music into A-Z folders and added each letter until Roon crashed. Once that happened I split that into smaller sections and added and so on and so forth until I found the single folder that had a corrupt file. Then I added the files one by one until Roon crashed again and through trial and error found it, which was in the (Covers) folder.

The process took me about 20 days of trial and error using FLAC and mp3 frontend tools to test the files, but it ended up being an image I didn’t even need :sob:

Thanks. These issues are sometimes logged so you may find it quicker to scan the log files around the time of the crash to see how far a scan gets before crashing Roon Server. Shame Roon it isn’t more resilient to this type of error.
I’ve had a few bad graphic files over the years and they have been logged (can’t read/access type error message in the logs) but didn’t crash Roon Server. Even Windows couldn’t open the files, so no idea what happened to them.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.