Roon Crashing -------

@support

Hi,

I am having trouble with Roon crashing. It seems to happens both when I use Chromecast and when I stream to It does not matter what file format I play, although most are .wav 44100/16 ripped from CD. There are about 13,000 tracks.

Setup: Roon 1.5 (354), 64 bit

All network gear firmware has just been updated:

2Ch Listening Room (wired): Ubiquiti Router (Security Gateway 4P)> ; Ubiquiti Switch (24 POW-250W) >;Synology NAS >; TP-Link MC-200CM Fiber-Ethernet Converter >; Microrendu >; Schiit Yggdrasil , etc.

2Ch Office (wired): Ubiquiti Router (Security Gateway 4P) >; Ubiquiti Switch (24 POW-250W) >;Synology NAS >; TP-Link MC-200CM Fiber-Ethernet Converter > Microrendu > Schiit Bifrost, etc.

Whole House System (WIFI): ): Ubiquiti Router (Security Gateway 4P) >; Ubiquiti Switch (24 POW-250W) >;Synology NAS >; Unifi WAPs >; 4 Chromecast units, etc.

Thanks for reaching out, @peter_derousse!

Just to verify, when you play to Chromecast, Roon completely crashes? Or is audio dropping out during playback to this device, but you’re still able to use Roon?

Does this occur with other endpoints?

When I restart it from the last crash, Roon will work without problem for 10-15 minutes and then spontaneously close again. It will do this when I playback to any device: microrendu, Chromecast or through a system USB.

Updates: I reinstalled Windows 10 on the NUC that runs the core, because Windows Diagnostics was stating that “HD Audio Driver is Having a Problem.” I also downloaded the latest Roon software.

Shortly thereafter, Windows diagnostics announced “HD Audio Driver is Having a Problem” again, and prompted me to fix it, which I did again, and it rewarded me with a green check … Yay. Restart. Roon worked for an hour or so. Then the crashing resumed at 10-15 min. intervals. Any ideas?

Thanks for the additional information here, @peter_derousse, and you have my apologies for the continuing difficulties.

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thank you!

1 Like

Started: (10/1/18) 7:25 pm
Crashed: (10/1/18) 7:37 pm

Also, I completely removed and reinstalled Roon yesterday, but the problem persists…

Thanks, @peter_derousse!

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

While the team is performing their analysis, I was hoping you would run a test that should help give us a better idea of why this behavior is occurring. If you have another machine that you can use as your Roon Core, can you install Roon and see if the same behavior occurs on that machine?

Any ideas? [I cannot install on another computer.]

Hey @peter_derousse,

Thanks for the update here. This is still with the team who is analyzing the report. I’ll get back to you as soon as I receive their feedback on this.

Thanks!

Hey @peter_derousse,

I wanted to reach out and let you know that we have opened up a ticket with our development team for this issue.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, I will be sure to keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved.

In the meantime, the team has asked that you try disabling your Chromecast zone. Is there any change in behavior once you’ve done this?

Thanks!

Hi @peter_derousse,

We released Build 360 of Roon which includes a fix for the crash you were experiencing. Please download the update and let us know if you have any issues. You can read more about the update here:

This new version seems to be stable. Thank you for the attention. You have a great product.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.