Roon criticism at Pinkfish Media

I don’t think you understood my point; so I will rephrase it:

The performance enhancement coming from the M1, when compared with previous architectures, is such that ANY other equipment or computer used as a Roon core will pale in comparison, thus rendering the relative 30% boost all but irrelevant.

And I am just talking about the first generation of Mac notebooks with that SoC; when desktops come the gap will be even wider.

1 Like

So what happens if I use a core 50% more powerful than any Apple M1 based computer?
Does the performance of the M1 become irrelevant?
You only need a certain amount of power to move these bytes about.

This was the most interesting and exciting statement in this whole chain…:slight_smile:

11 Likes

It could however mean biggest in terms of file size :grinning::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

… to say nothing of what might be possible were Roon to develop a native version for the Apple architecture.

1 Like

it’s biggest in terms of changes and effort… many long-standing items that required huge technical changes were completed.

14 Likes

Where was your effort in the last releases? Just kidding, I am looking forward to the release, even though I could live with Roon as it is now.

Exactly - even under Rosetta 2, software performance with the M1 is already leaps and bounds over anything else.

1 Like

No; I mean such a performance advantage is not relevant enough to justify buying a (rather expensive) dedicated equipment just to operate Roon. Obviously you may still wish to buy it for other reasons (such as storing all your music in that equipment, not worrying about carrying your Roon core around, etc.). But performance WON’T be it.

1 Like

But it NEVER was. You can buy the same NUC, and put the same OS on it yourself.

The Nucleus has always been about convenience.

Sound good I’ll look forward to installing it, maybe you need some nice retired men to do some customer acceptance testing? We have loads of time in the locked down GB winter… :grinning:

My eyes! When did they make the front panel of Pink Faun servers…pink! :nauseated_face:

Sorry I read it the other way :grinning:
Which do you have? I’m still using a 2020 Air and look forward to trading for an M1 but I only use it for light general work and photo library, can’t really find an excess to upgrade at this point.

If you’ve bought Roon lifetime then an appliance to run it would make complete sense for some use cases (and wallets).

Those are two different issues.

If I use Roon, what device do I want to run the Roon core on? Do I want to fool with DIY or purchase a Nucleus, or some other device?

If I buy Roon, how do I want to pay for it? Would I prefer monthly, annual, or lifetime?

If I decide to stop using Roon, I can sell my Roon core device. I can stop paying to rent or walk away from lifetime (sunk money).

These are not monumental financial decisions. Do what works best for you. Lifetime and Nucleus works for me.

2 Likes

Now you got me excited, looking forward to it.

Will we get the new release before or after Christmas?

Do Roon developers and support staff want to be able to enjoy a peaceful Christmas and new year break with their families? :wink: I personally hate December deadlines.

3 Likes

Roon doesn’t provide target dates for releases. It will be released when it is ready. Past major releases have occurred both before and after Christmas.

4 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Whatever happened to… Orson Welles