Roon Desktop App Crashing on Artist Pages

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 21H2, AMD 5800X, 32GB RAM, M.2 SSD, AMD 5700XT GPU

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet, tp-link sg105 switch, generic no-name ISP router

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node 2i through Ethernet, Gato Audio DIA-250S through USB

Number of Tracks in Library

874, I started using Roon a few days ago.

Description of Issue

Roon Desktop app freezes and does not recover when going to most artist pages (like Enigma), rendering the app completely useless. Fortunately, the android remote app works just fine, so for the time being, I just don’t touch the desktop app, and do everything on my smartphone.

@Wojtek_Iwan, are you running the most recent Roon build, 923, on your PC? Also, have you updated the latest graphics driver for your AMD GPU? Graphic drivers for PCs with separate GPUs tend to cause some issues with Roon, although it’s not clear if that is the case here.

Yeah, I’m on build 923, and have the latest GPU drivers from AMD that came out last week. It’s worth noting that I didn’t experience these crashes with the previous build of Roon.

@support may be able to assist when they get to your post. They may need to look at your logs, but this seems to be a Windows issue.

You might try and look at your Event Log in Windows to see if there are additional clues or error messages.

Hey @Wojtek_Iwan,

Thanks a lot for letting us know of the issue :pray:

There is a chance that the culprit is exactly this:

the latest GPU drivers from AMD that came out last week.

Automatic Windows updates of the drivers are notorious in also breaking things. I wonder, could you please uninstall these drivers and download them directly from the manufacturer’s site and install them that way.

Is Roon still crashing?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I don’t let Windows Update touch my drivers, I always update manually, with drivers straight from the manufacturer. Besides, as I wrote up above in one of the replies, the previous build of roon wasn’t freezing, and I was already using these display drivers at that point. The new build of Roon is the only thing that changed about my system.

And to respond to @Rugby , I checked in the event log and it only says “Application Hang” and type “unknown”, so no clues there. :frowning:

Hey @Wojtek_Iwan,

Thank you so much for the clarification. I wonder if reinstalling the app would help. If you can, could you please:

• backup Roon (just in case)
  • uninstall the Roon app on your PC
  • download it fresh from our website
  • install it

Does it still crash?

Yeah, it still crashes.

Hello @Wojtek_Iwan ,

Can you please try a fresh Roon database and see if you’re still able to reproduce the behavior? Instructions are below:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
1 Like

Issue is not present on a fresh database. As soon as I restore the old database, the problem returns.

2 Likes

I just wanted to add that reinstalling the app is not necessary to “fix” or rather avoid the problem - all you have to do is delete or rename the “database” folder, that’s it. So it’s clearly a problem with the database, maybe the update bricks the database in some cases. I hope it doesn’t reoccur.

2 Likes

Hi @Wojtek_Iwan ,

Thanks for confirming that the issue was due to the database, this is an interesting observation. If you by any chance have your Roon_old folder, can you please send it to us for additional testing? You can upload the entire folder here as a .zip/.7z/etc and let us know. Thanks!

Sure, I got it. Uploaded it just now.

Oh wait, you wanted the whole Roon folder. Oops. Uploaded that too.

Hi @Wojtek_Iwan, I’ve noticed the same but only if Roon window is not maximized.
I’m using ultrawide monitor and side by side of two apps works well but Roon tends to crash in this view. Can you confirm the same as I can see that Roon window is not maximized either on your screenshot.

Oh wow, that’s interesting. After going to my old “corrupt” library, I can confirm it doesn’t crash when you go fullscreen. That is so weird.

Cheers @Wojtek_Iwan, I just had another look it and when playback is paused/stopped it doesn’t crash as well if Roon window is not maximized or in full screen.
@noris @beka can you please investigate further? Thanks.

Playback state doesn’t affect the freezing I experience. When windowed, it crashes whether it’s paused or not.

Hey @Wojtek_Iwan,

Thanks for the additional information you’ve shared over the weekend.

Could you please confirm: does Roon only freeze/ crash on a specific artist page? If so, what artist is it?

To further investigate, could you please exit out of Roon/RoonServer and then upload the contents of your Roon/RoonServer contents as a .zip to the following link and let us know once uploaded?

[removed link]

No worries, I really love the software, so I’m happy to do what I can to help improve it.

And no, it’s not on any one specific artist page, it happens on many artist pages. Maybe like a third of them. I just froze Roon for you, and packaged it right after, without relaunching. The upload is done.

1 Like