Roon disconnects with Linn streamer after some time when not playing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon server is running on a Windows 10 machine with 4GB of RAM and an i3 dual core CPU

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
I play music on a Linn Akurate System Hub/DSM and control Roon via the Roon app on an iPad.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Both the Roon server machine and the Linn Akurate System hub are directly connected via ethernet to a Ubiquiti Unifi Switch (which is connected to a Ubiquiti USG which acts as router)

Description Of Issue
When Roon server boots I am able to play music via the app on the Linn streamer. But when I stop playing music, and wait for a while to start playing music again (e.g. the next day), the Roon core is not connected to the streamer anymore, and is not able to find the Linn streamer when I look at the available audio devices. If I restart Roon server however, Roon is connected to the streamer again. I have reinstalled Roon server and I installed the latest firmware on the Linn system but the problem is still present.

Hi @rob2020,

Welcome to the forum!

When this issue occurs, are other audio zones still visible and working? As in is the Linn the only zone impacted by this behavior?

Also, do you have any Auto Sleep set up on the Linn zone? You can find Auto Sleep (if supported) in the Device Setup tab for the zone (Roon Settings -> Audio -> Cogwheel icon next to zone -> Device Setup).

I have a different streamer but exactly the same kind of problem. USB-audio device has disappeared.

Hi @noris,

Thanks for your rapid response. When the Linn zone is not available anymore, other audio devices like local devices on the Roon server machine are still available. I do not use other zones than the Linn however. Notably, the Linn is shown in the available audio devices, but using AirPlay instead of the native connection.

Auto Sleep is available for the Linn zone, but this is turned off.

Hi @rob2020,

Thanks for confirming that the other devices still show up as expected.

You should be aware that often times managed switches need specific configuration in place, I wonder if this is what’s going on here. From our Networking Best Practices Guide:

Managed Switches

Managed switches can be very robust, but they are often designed for professional installation, so in many cases the out-of-box configuration is not right. If your switch has a “flow control” setting, please make sure that it is enabled. Also, make sure that the switch is not performing any sort of throttling that might impact communication between cores, storage, remotes, and/or audio endpoints. Finally, ensure that the switch is configured to pass multicast and broadcast traffic. If in doubt about any of this, try temporarily replacing your managed switch with a “dumb” switch to see if things improve.

A post was split to a new topic: Linn Endpoints Disappeared From Roon

Hi @noris,

I checked the configuration of the switch and enabled flow control as stated in the networking best practices. As far as I know all other recommended settings are already enabled. I will report back here in a few days if the issue is resolved or not.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.