Roon Display times out to screensaver on Google Chromecast TV [Fixed in Roon build 1272]

Roon Core Machine

macOS Big Sur version 11.7.3
Apple MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2013)
2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

FritzBox 7590 Router
FritzRepeater 2400 Extender
MacBook Pro with Ethernet on FritzBox 7590
Google TV Chromecast with WiFi on FritzRepeater
No VPN as far as I know

Connected Audio Devices

Devialet Expert 250 Pro (All-in-one Streamer) WiFi

Number of Tracks in Library

85,000 tracks

Description of Issue

ROON Display initially works well but it always starts to drop out suddenly after a few minutes. To Google Ambient Mode Screensaver. I’ve tried the Google’s menus and I’ve tried a Google Chromecast Reset but both didn’t work out. Help please :pray:t3: thank you very much

1 Like

Hi @Sjors_Ehv ,

Thanks for the report here!

We’re aware of a few other reports for this Chromecast model, we have been able to reproduce the issue on our end and there’s a development ticket to look into this further. I can’t comment on timelines for resolution, but we are aware of and looking into this issue for the Chromecast TV.

In the meantime, and as a temporary workaround, you can try to set up a Roon Web Display to a PC Chrome browser window and then cast the browser tab to the Chromecast TV. I’d give this a try:

Thanks!

2 Likes

I have this same issue on both my Sony ZD9 and Nvidia Shield. When I first had Roon this worked without a hitch, then there was a stage for several months when the displays no longer showed as a device. Since that was fixed, I have had the same screensaver issue. It is a bit of a pain when major features regress like this.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot noris. :pray:t3:
I wait

Hi noris, thanks again. Now I think that both ways of showing Displays are not working at all or at last not properly, like it should. :neutral_face:

I’ve installed al the latest Roon Updates as far as I know

Sorry… Yes the casting in Chrome Web browser that’s working. :pray:t3:

But I need to say that unfortunately the screen drops back to Googe TV Screensaver, here as well.

1 Like

Hi noris,

The issue is still there here. And also the copy paste option for Web Display in the Chrome Web browser is even not working at all today.

Can you give any indication on when the issue could be fixed please? I really like the Displays option a lot.

Chrome Cast with Google TV is listed as a Roon tested device, and I bought it as such,
now as we all see, it wasn’t tested very well at all.
I can turn off ambient, turn off power saving and it still eventually either goes
to screensaver or blank screen altogether, or it locks up and requires rebooting everything.

What is a reliable product people are using where I can just have a display on all the time
showing what is playing with art and not have to worry about it turning off or locking up?

1 Like

Eric_Stewart1 Thanks for the input. :sunflower:

I really wished there was an update.
This has been an issue and has been well reported and acknowledged since the hardware came out. years ago.
If it takes one more voice to add weight to this issue, here’s mine. I’d really like to see this resolved after all this time.

2 Likes

Does anyone else find it “temperamental”?

After the faff of enabling developer mode to stop the damn thing timing out, it will still occasionally close Roon and stop playback?

Is it me being grumpy or do others find it unreliable?

The Google TV is connected to an LG C2 TV in the living room and used as both endpoint and display.

Upstairs I have a ROCK server (Intel NUC i3-10110 with 8Gb), internet is a mix of cables and Orbi satellites (which with help from this board have been re-configured!), several wired and wireless other endpoints (WiiM, Chromecast Audio, OpticalRendu / Topping D90SE).

Google TV times out is, is often slow to respond, generally it’s a poor user experience.

1 Like

Same issue with my Google Chromecast HD :frowning:

Roon Core Machine

Roon 1.8 build 831
macOS Monterey on iMac Retina 4K 2017, 16GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router Experia, WIFI via Apple AirPort Extreme, core connected via Ethernet cable

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound Node (1), Apple Airport Express (2)

Library Size

6k albums, 80k tracks
Only local library, no streaming services connected.

Using Roon display on my Sony TV (KE-48A9) built-in Chromecast, after a couple of minutes, the TV screen dims.

This behavior does not happen streaming videos, so I do not attribute it to the TV settings (e.g. light sensors…) - which by the way I also excluded but did not affect this dimming behavior.

From what I could understand, the TV / built-in Chromecast combination kind of considers that the HTML page is idle once loaded and, as a consequence of this, the TV dims itself to save energy. Note that I can see Chromecast video streams perfectly well without encountering this dimming issue. This only happens with your cast.

Thanks for your support.
Enrico

Hi @Enrico_Corvonato,

Thank you for getting in touch about this, we’d be happy to take a look.

First, please update your Core and Remotes to the latest Roon update, Build 903/904.

Secondly, try turning off all energy savings settings on the SONY.

Please let us know if either of these recommendations help with the dimming you’re seeeing.

Hi Jamie,

My bad, core was already 904.

I deactivated all possible power saving features on the Sony TV but without success.

Please note that when I stream videos over the Sony built-in Chromecast or AppleTV, I do not face this problem: the screen does not dim. This behavior only happens when casting Roon display.

Thanks for your help on this!
Enrico

Hi Jamie,

Any news after my reply of last week?

Thanks!
Enrico

Hey Enrico,

The queue is longer than usual, please bear with us for bit more, thx