Roon does hardware [Nucleus introduced in Munich]

I think it’s appropriate to speak to what an amazing commitment Roon Labs is making to the present user community with the above comment. It bears repeating that the yearly or lifetime subscription to the Roon software is expected to grant the purchaser all updates and new features to Roon Software itself. ROCK/RoonOS is a customized operating system to ease installation and optimize performance of RoonServer, but represents a distinct development effort by the RoonLabs team. There is a strong temptation to mentally lump these two together, but nothing in conventional software development pricing structures and practices obligates RoonLabs to offer ROCK at no additional charge.

I think Microsoft presents it is a useful analogy to provide context. The suite of Microsoft Office products are now offered as a subscription service to customers. As long as one is current on the monthly/yearly fee, one can expect full updates an improvements related to Microsoft Office. However, this does not entitle the Office365 subscriber to a free Windows10 license. Windows is sold as a separate product, and probably always will be. As an analogy to Nucleus, it is certainly possible to build a high end Windows10 desktop computer more cheaply than the prices charged by Dell, but a) the price of Windows10 is rolled into the Dell price, and b) people are willing to pay more for something that just works with no assembly required.

Of course, there are business benefits to RoonLabs making ROCK available free of charge in order to reduce support burden and broaden its user base. However, it would not be out of line for them to charge separately for RoonOS or force you to buy their hardware in order to access that development stream. We don’t see Sonore distributing its SonicOrbiter OS free to all users who would like to buy their own RPi or other DIY solution. You have to buy the SOSE or microRendu.

If you can’t understand why anyone would pay extra for a Nucleus instead of building their own NUC, buy the NUC, install ROCK, and be happy. At the same time, please do recognize that nowhere in the Roon agreement are they compelled to offer ROCK/RoonOS free of charge. If we as a community complain too much about unexpected free perks extending outside of the core Roon software, RoonLabs may not feel so inclined to make them free in the future.

12 Likes

It does feel a bit like that. I suspect because it is natural for people to judge a new product/service against their own need for it. I won’t be buying a Nucleus, but I’m very pleased they exist so that people for whom that solution is the right fit can enjoy Roon.

I expect that most people on this Forum could build an inexpensive ROCK capable NUC in under 10 minutes, blindfolded under a blanket with the Barney the Dinosaur song playing looped at full volume through headphones. But others just don’t enjoy that sort of thing.

11 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Nucleus i7 powerful enough?

@JWC. Thank you. You echo my sentiments on this subject completely, and have expressed them much better than I could have :grin:. When I made my Annual Subscription to ROON, I did not expect to be treated to ROCK! I just now await that recommended shopping list :grinning:.

1 Like

Are there any figures on power consumption of the Corei7 version in its ‘quiescent’ mode? Thanks

Absolutely. Obviously the right move. I wish they’d done it 6 months ago so I could justify buying it and save some time instead lost resentfully fiddling with NUCs…

All they have to do now is import Sooloos metadata alongside the new metadata system, and they’ll eat up that (tiny) portion of the market completely. [ducks]

1 Like

(The fanless quote wasn’t mine BTW :wink: )

That explains a lot about a lot of hifi computer equipment. Thanks for the insight.

I doubt many people are going to put that black box in their listening rooms, next to their beautiful endpoints, DACs, streamers, speakers, etc.

That box looks like it was built to go where all computers, amps, etc. belong - down in the cellar, where it’s cool.

Cool as in temperature, not as in hipster.

:sunglasses:

Thanks for confirming that for “audiophiles” it is all about the looks despite claiming otherwise… :wink:

You will like an article in this weeks Copper Online Mag that addresses the point you just made.

1 Like

wait until you see it in person, it’s very pretty – you will want it on top of all your other gear.

3 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: Is the Nucleus case available?

4 posts were split to a new topic: Going DIY + ROCK. Here is my configuration: Suggestions?

Will it be available in the UK?

1 Like

Now the “surprise” is out, I’m just curious​ if this’s​ all of it or if there’s more part(s) to the surprise that’s yet to be revealed​? :wink:

5 posts were split to a new topic: ROCK hardware options

4 posts were split to a new topic: Do I need to install RoonServer on ROCK?

2 posts were split to a new topic: With ROCK, Can I store music on an SSD?

3 posts were split to a new topic: ROCK exposing SMB share?