Roon does not scan my library on a Synology NAS in real time (as announced)

Hi @noris,

I have the same issue under almost the identical configuration as @bbrip: my Core sits on my iMac which has a LAN cable connection to my Fritzbox router which again has a LAN cable connection to my Synology NAS.

Any changes I do on my NAS (e.g. adding a whole new album) need a force rescan otherwise Roon will simply ignore them. EDIT: at some point much later, Roon auto-detects the changes – see my detailled issue description below.

Funnily enough, Audirvana on my iMac picks up the changes instantly (it uses the same smb:// path). So it is definitely a problem that Roon has, and not an issue of the NAS.

Will there be a solution for this?

Klaus

1 Like

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Certainly changes to the music folder are not picked up in real time when it is on a NAS. But it will automatically rescan if you tell it to.

So, have you set an automatic rescan time in Roon?

Settings > Storage > [your Music folder] > Edit > Automatic Rescan Interval

@K52 it‘s one of those Roon bugs… It was PITA enough for me to put music library on an internal SSD in my Rock.

@Carl, thank you for making this a separate issue.

Here is my setup:

• Roon Core 1.7 (610) runs on my iMac (4 GHz Quad-Core i7 / 32 GB RAM / 2 TB Fusion Drive with MacOS Catalina 10.15.7)
  • Connected via Fritz!Box 7560 router to my Synology DS218+ NAS (both connections via LAN cable)
  • Audirvana 3.5.41 also runs on my iMac

Roon settings:

• Settings > Storage > \myNAS\Music > “Connected – watching for new files in real time”
  • I do not scan my local music folder, only the NAS
  • Automatic rescan interval: 1 hour
  • Initial scan complete

Audirvana settings:

• Settings > Library > Watched folders > /Volumes/myNAS/Music > Auto sync

My issue in detail:

I use the Roon Core on my iMac, and the Roon Apps on my MacBook and iPad for listening to the music stored on my NAS. The effect is the same on all 3 devices (no wonder, as it is the Core that scans the library).

I add a new music folder to \myNAS\Music by first ripping a CD to my iMac (or downloading files from Qobuz), then copying it to the NAS folder.

Then I wait 5 seconds and use the full-text search in Roon to look for the new tracks – not found. Then I use the full-text search in Audirvana to look for the new tracks – and they are all correctly listed.

45 minutes later it is still not showing up in Roon. At some point, the 1-hour scan interval kicks in and it finally recognises the album. But this is a far cry from “watching for new files in real time”.

(The same effect happens for metadata updates, and for deletions: Roon still lists the deleted files, and when you try to play one of them issues a warning that “the track failed to load”, but the album is still shown. After ca. 20 minutes, Roon removed the album and showed a notification “Album deleted” – that probably was a result of the 1-hour interval scan.)

While this might not be too much of an issue in regular listening situations, it is quite annoying at times when I am doing maintenance work (updating metadata on 10+ albums, ripping CDs etc.). Audirvana does not have a problem at all at spotting those changes in real time – so it is not a NAS problem.

Is there a solution to make Roon more responsive?

Hello @K52, the automatic scan when new media is added to a NAS device is dependent on the NAS properly notifying Roon that there has been a change over the network. Unfortunately, we’ve found that many NAS devices aren’t reliable at properly notifying Roon. We recommend changing the automatic scan interval to your needs.

Hello @nuwriy, is Roon using a significantly other communication with the NAS than Audirvana?

My Synology NAS does notify of changes, and Audirvana picks it up in real time – so why not Roon? Both are running on my iMac, so they are using exactly the same hardware and connectivity.

This „excuse“ of the NAS not notifying Roon is nonsense. Every system picks up changes on the NAS, except for Roon.

So the problem here is Roon and not the other way round.

2 Likes

Hello @K52, I tried to enable diagnostics for your account to prepare a report for our team but was unable to. Could you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

Hello @K52, and thanks for your report! Our QA team is aware of the issue and while I can’t promise any timelines, are working towards a resolution.

1 Like

My new Synology NAS music albums would not update on Roon at all.

I bought a Nucleus with a 1 TB SSD drive now, so the problem is solved for me. (There were performance issues with my iMac-Synology setup, and I generally wanted to reduce the workload of my NAS.)

But I would very much like to keep this thread open for those using a Synology NAS – it is a very common configuration, and there is no reason why Roon shouldn’t be as quick as Audirvana in picking up changes in the NAS folder.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 22 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.