Roon does not like NAD C368 with BluOS module [Investigating]

Roon Core Machine

Synology 1522+

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired Ethernet with a bunch of switches

Connected Audio Devices

BlueSound Node, 2 BlueSiound Flexes, Rose RS250 (all ethernet or WiFi for Flexes).

Number of Tracks in Library

~20K

Description of Issue

Yesterday, added a NAD C 368 with a BluOS 2i module (all marked as “Roon Ready” by both NAD and Roon) to the setup.

Roon does see the new device in the “Roon Ready” section of the audio setup, but considers it to be Uncertified
and can not be enabled.

Since everybody says that it should work, is there a problem with the device, with Roon, or with companies’ marketing departments?

Thanks!

I haven’t heard of an MDC3, just the 2. There is a link here with a similar problem, I don’t know if they got a solution.
Daft question - have you updated BluOS?

@garye Not sure where the 3 comes from, it’s an MDC Classic module, not even MDC2…

Is this your mdc module, single antenna correct?

This makes you the second person to have the same issue in last few days, I’m unsure if Carlo has been able to resolve his. I messaged him and asked.

@OffRode yes, has a BT anthenna and a little USB dongle for Wi-Fi.

Annoying part is that both vendors claim that the device is Roon Ready ( i.e. the very first gadget on this page.

Your on Ethernet cable right? What happens when you hit enable?

Yes, but that does not seem to matter.

When I hit Enable I get this message:

You have ensured that you have the latest firmware update from BluOs?

https://support.bluos.net/hc/en-us

Of course :rofl:

Made sure that both the 368 itself is on the latest firmware (all three parts of it) and the BluOS card. It is 3.20.25, exactly the same BluOS as in the Node and Flexes that are working with Roon just fine.

Quite perplexing, really.

Be great if @support could possibly chime in and point you in the correct direction, Roon, NAD, Bluesound? You and @Carlo_S_Santos are both in a bit of a pickle currently.

Off topic, Boris you in lone star state?

Would be nice. I wrote to BlueSound as well, but got an automated response that they are swamped and not to expect any real reply for 2 days or so…

A quick-ish response would be nice – do I keep the 368, or ask the store to order me a Peachtree Nova 150 (it’s a better DAC and probably amp anyway, and costs less) instead, then I can just plug an old laptop with Roon Bridge in and be done…

Tough call, I’ve handled my Nova down to my son a good piece of kit for sure. I was running NAD C375 for many years before I got my M33 last year, Dirac Full and BluOs are great for me I’m partial to NAD gear I suppose because I’ve had good luck with them. What speakers are you using ? I suppose the peachtree and NAD are pretty close in capability.

I’m really thinking that there is some silly issue going on with this deal that should be resolved soon

Hi @Boris_Molodyi,

I have taken a quick look at diagnostics logging and need to escalate this issue. I will get back with our thread here and let you know how things go.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

@Wes ,

Thanks! Hopefully can resolve it soon…

@OffRode NADs are nice (quite like the way even Node sounds with a cheesy old Denon and pair of MS-90’s) but my main system is currently a Rose RS-250 driving M&K S-150s with an SVS sub, and the one I am building will have RS-520 driving Mission 775’s. C368 or Peachtree are a temporary solution that will move to replace Node that I will give to my mom, while the 520 is on backorder for whjo

Peachtree is double the power of 368 and has a better (well, at least better specced) DAC, I just wanted to pick something up that was in stock, but maybe it was a mistake.

Oh, and yes, I am just outside Austin.

1 Like

Great to have @Wes on the case :+1:t2:

The mission 775 look quite efficient 91db 8 ohms, pretty easy loading in either case eh? I’m running B&W 805D and those little buggers like a fair amount of current and wattage. I used to run my older Nova the one with the tube buffer into some PSB 6.5 two ways Imagine I think they are. Good fun rig as well.

I’m currently in Cross Mountain TX contemplating my need to get back to California for a bit of time. Need to fix my broken frozen sprinkler pipe here :joy::wink::rofl: last week got the yard a bit huh?

Yes, Missions play pretty well even from 368’s 80 watts; if I get the Nova, it should be even easier. Too bad the matching sub (700AS) keeled over as soon as I finally got them out of the closet (most of my stuff had survived several moves, including cross-country, from several households, so there are some things that are still quite good, some that are snake oil, and some that are just completely obsolete; I am trying to salvage what I can… a 20 years old speaker is probably fine, DACs or surge protectors not so much). Now I need to find something to fill the bottom on Missions out. At least they do have reasonable bottom end, unlike M&Ks which are quite good, far too expensive, and have less bass than Mordaunt-Shorts 1/3 the sie…

I spent a few years in San Jose, could not have been happier when I got out of there!

I think my sprinklers are OK, but then I haven’t turned them on since before the freeze. They did survive the big freeze two years ago though, so probably fine. Grass turned yellow overnight though. Which is probably good, at least I don’t have to cut it for a while :laughing:

I also have a NAD C368 with a BluOS 2i module - the last two times after a BluOS update, ROON identified the C368 as a uncertified NAD MDC device (I think MDC refers to the slot where the BluOS card sits in the amp). I was able to fix this issue by unplugging the power and ethernet from the amp and leaving it powered down for about 15 minutes. After reconnecting the power and ethernet, ROON identified the device as a NAD C368 and ROON operated as normal. Hope this works for you.

1 Like

Hmm, interesting. Something I am used to doing with computers, not what I want for a not inexpensive audio product.

Did not seem to help much though. It might have picked it up for a bit (Roon display was in another room) but is back to uncertified “NAD MDC3” now…

Hi @Boris_Molodyi. Everyone,

We have identified an issue with how the hardware is reporting to Roon. As far as our device databases go, the C68 is configured properly. We have escalated this to Bluesound and will continue to work towards a resolution with them.

Thanks,
Wes

3 Likes

@Wes Thanks, much appreciated!