Roon does not recognize drive

So I think I need to complete this process as well. I added a USB drive and by mistake I directed Roon NOT to recognize the drive. Now, I can’t figure out how to get Roon to see this drive. I need to somehow force Roon to recognize this drive. This looks like it will do the trick. Can you confirm?

Can you describe your Roon core and what exactly you did.

1 Like

I am running ROCK on an Intel NUC. OS is - Version 1.0 (build 227). Server software is Version 1.8 (build 783). As to the drive: My buddy gave me a Seagate portable USB 3TB drive. I was just checking it out and plugged it into my mac. Immediately Roon wanted to recognize it. I said no - as I am a novice to Roon and was worried it was going to do something with the music files. Since then, I can’t get Roon to recognize the drive at all. I just can’t get the NUC to see it. I am running another USB drive on a 6 port powered hub plugged into the NUC and it sees all those files just fine.

Hey @tim.davenport,

Sorry for taking this long to get back to you - I had hoped it was going to be much much sooner :pleading_face:

I’m sorry about the trouble - since it’s been a while since your last post, I wonder, is the Seagate now visible to your ROCK?

1 Like

No still nothing. It is so frustrating. So silly. I am thinking to try and set up the hard drive to be visible to my Bluesound Vaullt 2i and see of that works. Any advice is welcomed!

Hey @tim.davenport,

Thanks a whole lot for confirming - I am sorry this has been ongoing for this long. I’ve asked for our technical team’s help. You should hear back from them on this thread :pray:

1 Like

Thanks Rebeka! Greatly appreciated. I’ll check back in in a few days. I am also thinking to do the hard reset to the initial install. I know I will lose the browsing history - but that is not the end of the world.

1 Like

before you do all that can you tell me what steps you are going through to try and get Roon to recognize the drive? Are you plugging it into your MAC, or to you NUC? Are the NUC and Mac connected over the network with an ethernet cable or wifi, or through USB? Depending on how things are connected and where you are plugging it in, there are different ways to get Roon to see the device. It may also need to be formatted first.

1 Like

Are you plugging it into your MAC, or to you NUC?

I initially plugged it into my mac. That is when the problem began. Roon asked if I wanted to recognize the drive and I selected “No”. Ever since then - I can’t get the Nuc to recognize it. I now have it plugged into a powered USB hub that is plugged into the NUC.

Are the NUC and Mac connected over the network with an ethernet cable or wifi, or through USB?

The NUC is plugged into an EERO wireless router. The mac is just my laptop - it plays no role in the stereo system, other than using the ROON client to play music.
Depending on how things are connected and where you are plugging it in, there are different ways to get Roon to see the device. It may also need to be formatted first.

The drive is properly formatted - I confirmed that.

Ok sounds good., well the only other thing I would suggest it looking in the NUCs file system from your Mac to see if the hard drive is appearing there. If you need help with that just let me know and I can walk you through it. Hopefully some other people will chime in with some ideas while you wait for support to get to you

1 Like

Hi @tim.davenport

I agree with AnimalOnDrums — It would definitely be good to connect to the ROCK device and see if it’s showing up using Finder or File Explorer. You can connect using smb://rock/data or \\rock\data. From here you can navigate to Storage and see if the drive appears here.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I am ready to figure this out. I’ll let you know what happens.

This is what I am not understanding. You have ROCK Roon Core running on a NUC, you are running Roon Remote on a Mac. You plug the drive INTO the MAC. Roon will not auto scan drives and ask if you want to recognize it. That would be the MAC OS or a program on the MAC.

For that drive which is plugged into a MAC running Roon client to be seen and accessed by a ROCK NUC Roon Core, you would have had to do the following:

1. Plug it into the MAC
  2. In the MAC OS, you would then set that drive up as a share
  3. Then, go into Roon Settings Storage and add that share as a Network location.

only then would Roon start analyzing the data on that drive.

Even if the core was on the MAC, the only storage location Roon initializes by default is the Music folder on the OS drive, for PCs. On a ROCK NUC, it will recognize the entire Internal storage drive.

1 Like

Hi I just tried this and it does not appear. I disconnected it an plugged into my Mac (again) and shows up in the finder just fine.

I feel like I have tried everything at this point. On my mac I can see the drive. I can pull up the NUC with the SMB info you provided. I plug it into the powered USB hub that is plugged into the NUC and NOTHING. It just does not see it in the storage add folder or network share. I think I need to try and reset the Roon Database & Settings.

Have you tried plugging the drive directly into the Nuc?
Sometimes funny things can happen with these USB hubs,even the powered ones.
Please try it if you have not already done so and see if it is then visible.
Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah I am trying that now…so frustrating. Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I have tried everything very carefully.

1 Like