Roon does not see new music in NAS

Thank you.
It does not depend on that: the same file with the same name is seen in Mac mini watched file and not seen in NAS watched file

This is not a valid test method to prove or negate the theory that the path length might be the issue at hand.

Ok, but then why Roon sees them when I charge the file in one way and does not see them when I charge the file in other way? You can read what I have made in detail in my previous posts.
Anyway, any comment will be very welcome.

It does seem that moving files up a level generally allows them to be found, correct?
It’s hard to say about moving things across levels though. Some of the folder names are much longer than others, and in addition, have other things like brackets and parentheses.
Do you happen to recall which files were among those not to be recognized?

I did read your previous posts. I made a guess why you get the problems you see and provided a link to another thread where the possible problem and it’s origin as well as the solution was discussed.

The rest is up to you. Good luck.

No, it is not right. It is partially right: one necessary condition until now is to create the files within NAS in a non-watched file and then to move them to the watched file. When making so two things have happened: in Level 1 they have always appeared and in Level 2 only appeared one file.

Most of my folders names have parentheses and brackets (roughly 90%). Here are the names of the folders:

• Puccini - Madama Butterfly - Freni, Pavarotti, Karajan, WP (1974 - 2014) [Qobuz 24-96] --> It was the last in appearing with no issue (except forced re-scanning)
  • Puccini - La Boheme - Freni, Pavarotti, Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker (1972 - 2014) [Qobuz 24-96] --> need to move from a NAS non watched file
  • Haydn - Missa Cellensis - Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin, RIAS Kammerchor, Justin Doyle (2019) [24-44,1] --> need to move from a NAS non watched file
  • Verdi - Macbeth - Verrett, Cappuccilli, Domingo, Ghiaurov, Claudio Abbado (2018) [24-192] --> need to move from a NAS non watched file
  • Haydn - Tríos para piano completos - Beaux Arts Trio --> need to move from a NAS non watched file
  • Bruckner - Sinfonía nº5 - Klemperer - OFV --> need to move from a NAS non watched file BUT it appeared when placed in Level 2. No need to move to Level 1

I did not realised there was a link. Sorry, I am new to forum.
I have now read it.
Question: From Mac mini, Finder perfectly see any folder in NAS (Linux based OS) and I can open it.
Do you still think this can be the cause?
If so, I will make some tests

macOS and Linux file services interact with Roon in quite different ways. One good example is the long lag between when a NAS reports a new file (minutes to hours) vs when macOS does (virtually immediately).
The link @BlackJack provided (and diagnosed) describes a very similar problem.
It is easy to test. Look among the files with the longest file paths. Are they there or not? If they are not there, does shortening the path make them appear?

1 Like

I have made tests trying to accomodate to the suggestions. The results are confusing although good for me because Roon is seeing the new files one way or another.
I have charged the file musics in different ways (from NAS to NAS using DSM and Finder and from Mac to NAS using Finder)
I have used files with very long names (I think) by ading letters to the original name.
I hope tests description to be clear. These are the results:

Test 1a (DSM)

From NAS to NAS Level 1

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Bernstein - West Side Story - Bernstein, Te Kanawa, Carreras, Troyanos, Ollmann (1985-2017) [24-96]

“Spontaneous”……yes

Forced………………//

Test 1b (Finder)

From NAS to NAS Level 1

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Brahms - Violin Concerto & String Sextet No.2 - Isabelle Faust - Harding - (24-44, HM, 2011)

“Spontaneous”……yes

Forced………………//

Test 2a (DSM)

From NAS to NAS Level 2

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzHans Zimmer - The World of Hans Zimmer - A Symphonic Celebration (Live) (2019) [24-44.1]

“Spontaneous”……no

Forced………………yes

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Bernstein - West Side Story - Bernstein, Te Kanawa, Carreras, Troyanos, Ollmann (1985-2017) [24-96]

“Spontaneous”……no

Forced………………yes

Test 2b (Finder)

From NAS to NAS Level 2

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Brahms - Violin Concerto & String Sextet No.2 - Isabelle Faust - Harding - (24-44, HM, 2011)

“Spontaneous”……no

Forced………………yes

Test 3a (Finder)

From Mac to NAS Level 2

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sibelius - Suite Lemminkäinen - La ninfa del bosque - Vänskä, Sinfónica de Lahti (2014) [24-44]

“Spontaneous”……no

Forced………………no

Test 3b (Finder)

From Mac to NAS Level 1

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sibelius - Suite Lemminkäinen - La ninfa del bosque - Vänskä, Sinfónica de Lahti (2014) [24-44]

“Spontaneous”……yes

Forced………………//

Regarding this last test I have to add that when the disc appeared in Roon (in Level 1), the disc was incompletre missing 3 tracks. I edited the “non standard letters” of Folder name, and the tracks appeared (I have had these problems with any player: I think is more a matter of Mac / DSM that cannot read or offer appropriately the name of the files)

It’s important to keep in mind that it isn’t just the length of the filename, but the total length of the whole folder/filename path.
For example:
“//Servidor/music/audivarna/Eigar/filename” is something like 41 characters long. The path is 33 characters (through the last slash) and the filename is 8 characters.
that same file under “/Rimsky - Korsakov…6) [Qobuz 24-96]” is going to be many more characters because that path length is so much longer.
Whenever the total length of the entire file path/filename is greater than 255 characters, you won’t see the file in Roon if it’s on the NAS. Unless that file path/filename is more than ~1000, you will see it in Roon when it’s on the Mac
It’s impossible for us to interpret your results because you do not include the full path name. That is probably why the results are confusing.
If you are not seeing a track that is in a folder where the entire path/filename is greater than 255 characters, this is the problem.
If you are not seeing a track where the entire path/filename is significantly less than 255 characters, it could be another problem.

1 Like

I come back to the beginning: when I found the problems, the files that did not appear had much shorter names / paths. Considering the longest music track, 220 characters in Level 2 and 212 characters in Level 1 (counted with Pages)
This is the path:

\Servidor1\Music\Audirvana\Puccini\Puccini - La Boheme - Freni, Pavarotti, Karajan, Berliner Philharmoniker (1972 - 2014) [Qobuz 24-96]\24_Puccini La Boheme Act 3 - Dunque e proprio finita!..Addio, dolce svegliare

And with today files, I have 301 characters in Level 2 where Roon could not see it any way and 292 characters in Level 1 where it did appear “spontaneously” (always counting the track with the longest name):

//Servidor/Music/Audirvana/Sibelius/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Sibelius - Suite Lemminkäinen - La ninfa del bosque - Vänskä, Sinfónica de Lahti (2014) [24-44]/01 - Lemminkainen Suite, Op.22 - I. Lemminkainen and the Maidens of the Island

Apparently, the number of characters is not the explanation.

1 Like

Thank you for this real example of a problematic path.

Just in case you didn’t know:

Not using characters documented as to avoid in file and folder names might help too.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Skipped_Files#Special_Characters

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_Some_of_my_files_aren’t_showing_up_in_Roon#Special_Characters

You can still use them in the metadata of your files.

1 Like

Ok, I did not know about those characters. I guessed so because Synology DSM does not accept some characters.
But this file has none of these “forbidden characters”. Furthermore, it has less than 255 characters and Roon discovered it with a forced rescanning when I moved the music disc file from a non watched file within NAS.
Before that Roon was not able to see it: when the file was written in NAS from Finder / Mac

The exclamation mark (!) is not in the list but can (doesn’t have too) be problematic. Also points that not separate the file type from the file name might lead to confusion. I would try without these for troubleshooting.

Which “this file”? The example I cited above doesn’t end with a file type indicator (like .flac, .wav, .alac, …) and so it’s unclear how much more characters are contained in the the total path.

Notes:

There are differences between what a filesystem allows and what a network transfer protocol like SMB/CIFS allows and for the same network protocol different implementations exist which may have differing limits (Apple: SMBX, Linux: SAMBA, …).

Your NAS might introduce it’s own limitations too:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/software_spec/storage_technology

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/software_spec/file_services#file_services_top

2 Likes

Understood. When finding this problems I will look for “non-standard” characters.

I did deliberately not write it: it is .flac what should be added. For the time being all the files that I am testing are FLAC

And regarding your Notes: I start realizing there is no simple answer to my problem.
I’ve got a lot of homework :slightly_smiling_face:

Roon is a lot to learn. But the more one puts into in, the more one benefits.
The community is here to help when you need it.
Good luck.

All the use that I have made tint now and the “problems” that I have encountered are solved following your advices. So far so good.
Thank you.

2 Likes

That’s great news Juan! Thanks for letting us know. It is helpful for users that run into similar issues in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.