Roon does not see OpenZFS Volumes despite having activated zfs set com.apple.mimic=apfs

Hey @anon47984560,

I encourage you to take a few moments to compose yourself before we continue the conversation. @Martin_Webster is a volunteer moderator on our forum who passed along valid information and moved your support request to the appropriate section of our forums: Tinkering

He’s done this with my approval and because you’re running Roon on an unsupported platform. You can find a list of supported Cores here, your chosen environment isn’t supported. Roon will run natively on Apple Silicon perfectly fine without introducing Open ZFS.

Aside from that, you’ll need to be respectful of fellow Forum members, moderators, and staff if you’d like to participate on our forums. Shouting at people you want to help you isn’t generally conducive to getting assistance.

Please take a few moments to read our forum guidelines and adhere to these rules moving forward. Failure to do so will result in suspension or permanent expulsion from our forum.

We appreciate your cooperation in advance. Thanks!

1 Like

This is most certainly a “tinkering” issue which, theoretically, could evolve into a feature request.

I think @Martin_Webster handled this well, as is very typical of the volunteer community moderators. They’re a talented and mature bunch who give a lot of their personal time to helping people.

@anon47984560 - I’d just like to throw out that this forum is a decent place with decent people. There’s an opportunity here for you to say something like “I’m sorry I lost my cool. really would like some help.” I imagine everyone here would just smile, say they understand, and try to help.

If you do decide to try to figure your issue out, I think it comes down to one of three possible things:

• Privacy. You’ve shown one privacy setting in MacOS but there’s another possibly relevant setting buried under Privacy & Security > Files and Folders which is required to grant an application access to Removable Volumes which might be in play here (image below)

• ACLs. I can see you’ve explored this. This seems unlikely to be the culprit but should still stay on the possible explanation list

• An issue with OpenZFS including how it mimics APFS. This issue could, for example, be in play: apfs on zvol is considered as "mounted from a disk image" from the point of macOS · Issue #85 · openzfsonosx/openzfs · GitHub. You pasted some diskutil info but there’s more detailed info available with “diskutil info” including “Protocol”.

I’m not an OpenZFS user and I doubt that I’ll be able to go any deeper than I have in this post. The crowd here is very, very technical and you might find someone (for example @Martin_Webster) who can actually help figure it out. And if you do get deeper into it and you figure out that there is a specific feature request to be made, you’ll be able to make that request in specific terms.

4 Likes

I already requested a cancellation of my Roon subscription and deletion of all my Data from your systems. Thank you but this is not what I expect from customer support. I even went the extra mile and provided working code samples for your devs to fix this. It’s ridiculous.

FWIW, I note that the following is incorrect syntax.

It should be: zfs set com.apple.mimic=hfs <dataset>. Prior to 2021 this was zfs set com.apple.mimic_hfs=on <dataset>.

1 Like

In case @accounts isn’t aware of this, I’m tagging them for you. :laughing:

Paging @beka

Hey @anon47984560,

Have you taken a look at the syntax error @Martin_Webster pointed out here - or considered installing Roon as recommended on MacOS?

It seems like your troubles are due to OpenZFS, not Roon.

Hey @Michael_Ruepp,

Your request about your account has been received by our team. You should have received a reply over email.

Thank you @xxx and @Jim_F for your help tagging our team :pray:

1 Like