Roon does not support DSD256 with Moon 280D Mind 2

Hello,

Today i found out that Roon server doesn’t support DSD256 tracks on my Moon 280D Mind 2 . DSD128 files work fine but when I try to play DSD 256 (which of course is supported by the Moon and the Moon appon my Ipad) the player shuts down after 30 to 50 seconds.

I this a software problem? Is there a solution?

Thank you,

Jon Spijker

@Jon_Spijker, I’ve moved your post to #support. However, to receive appropriate help, it would be really helpful if you could complete the template provided below. Please be sure to include details of your core, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon.

Moreover, please explain how your core and DAC are connected, and share the signal path. Thank you.

Roon Core Machine

<!‐-Include your operating system and machine info (Model, CPU, RAM)-‐>
<!‐-Write below this line-‐>

Networking Gear & Setup Details

<!‐-Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet, are you using VPN-‐>

Connected Audio Devices

<!‐-Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.)-‐>

Number of Tracks in Library

<!‐-Tell us how large your music library is, eg. “30,000 tracks”-‐>

Description of Issue

<!-‐Tell us about the problem you’re having in as much detail as possible. Screenshots are always appreciated!-‐>

Including these details in your first post helps resolve your issues faster.

How is the Moon connected? via Ethernet? via USB? And if USB, to what device?

The Moon 280D to use Roon with Mind 2 will be connected by ethernet.I have the same dac.I use with Roon Rock on a intel nuc.No issues with dsd 256.

Roon Core Machine:

MiniPC:
Core: Intel(R) Core™ i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Using Roon Server as Core

Router: TpLink Archer C2300
Ethernet cable Cat. 7
NAS QNAP 231P
No VPN
Roon Remote on Ipad 2018 and Iphone 13 Pro Max

** Connected Audio Devices**

Moon 280D, Mind 2 upgrade

** Number of Tracks in Library**

30.000 Tracks varying from 16bit 44,1 KHz to DSD256 and everything in between

Description of Issue

Today i found out that Roon my server doesn’t support my DSD256 tracks on the Moon 280D Mind 2 . DSD128 files work fine but when I try to play DSD 256 (which of course is supported by the Moon and the Moon app on my Ipad) the player does not respond anymore after 30 to 50 seconds.

I this a software problem? Is there a solution? Is something wrong in my setup?

Thank you,

Jon Spijker

@Martin_Webster. I added the information you asked. Is there somebody out there with a solution?

What is your proccessing speed for dsd 256 when you say it works for about 30 to 50 seconds

Also what is your firmware on your moon mind.I have the most recent with 2.02.

Your pretty low there yourself at 1.9x

I have 2 280D’s and have had sporadic issues with DSD256 on both. They have always been resolved with a hard reboot. This means actually switching off the hard power switch on the back of the unit and waiting for at least a minute before switching it back on. (10 seconds is not long enough, I found out the hard way)

Also, as suggested above, make sure your firmware is up to date. And yes, you have to do the power switch reboot after firmware updates.

Works for me at this speed no hiccups

you fine its still low thats all, below 1.5 you start to get in trouble terriority.

1 Like

Above I asked how your moon is connected in your system and someone else answered.

Is it via ethernet ir usb to the roon core?

As you can see in my Setup information I put:

Router: TpLink Archer C2300
Ethernet cable Cat. 7
NAS QNAP 231P
No VPN
Roon Remote on Ipad 2018 and Iphone 13 Pro Max

Is this enough info?

Do you have the 280d with mind 2 connected by ethernet or wifi ? Does it have the latest firmware.Check this on the mind controller app ?

Thanks guys so far. Unfortunately, I’m not at home right now to check. I will find out the signal path and speed tomorrow asap

The Roon Core is running on a miniPC which is also connected to the system through an ethernet cable(cat. 6)

Just to clarify the audio path is

roon core > ethernet > moon

I’d be very interested to see processing speed in dsd128 and then the dsd256 it falls down on.
You might just get away with 1.2x but that’s pushing danger zone territory.

This seems to be the problem. The processing speed drops to 0,9x with DSD256 as with DSD128 it is still 1,9x!!!

What can I do about this?