Roon doesn't find PC on different VLAN

Roon Core Machine

Core: Roon Nucleus ver 1.8 (build 1021)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Network Controller: Unifi UDM Pro SE
Nucleus is connected by ethernet to tp-link TL-SG105 gigabit switch, then by ethernet to controller/VLAN20.

Connected Audio Devices

StudyPC (Roon endpoint) is connected via ethernet to controller/VLAN1 via Trendnet TEG-S16Dg switch.
Multiple Google Home devices via wi-fi are on VLAN20.

Number of Tracks in Library

1000 tracks

Description of Issue

After the Nucleus and StudyPC were placed on separate VLANs, the StudyPC on VLAN1 no longer appeared as a Roon endpoint. All of the Chromecast and Homepod devices on VLAN20 with the Nucleus still appear as endpoints.

I have turned off the firewall rules blocking communication between VLANs and the problem persists. How do I get the Nucleus to communicate with a device on a different VLAN?

Roon really isn’t designed to support VLANs, it requires all devices to be on the same subnet. I believe I have read a few posts where all devices (Core and endpoints) on a VLAN may work, but Roon isn’t really set up for this type of scenario. AirPlay, and I believe Chromecast, support mDNS that can traverse a number of complex network configurations, but Roon has struggled with some of these use cases.

One option to test is to move all Roon devices to the same VLAN and see if that works.

I moved your post to Tinkering where others may be able to support your question.

2 Likes

With all devices on the same VLAN there is no problem. I just don’t want my primary PC to be on the IoT network. Guess I need to go ahead and take the Sonos plunge. Thanks so much for the advice. I had been struggling with this longer than I care to admit.

Just a quick update. Got it working by installing a separate NIC. Thought I would never get there. Don’t know why I didn’t do that sooner. One track mind.

1 Like

Excellent news, glad youhave it sorted out.

Roon doesn’t need to be VLAN aware as long as all (Roon related) devices (core, audio, remotes) are in the same VLAN as this would be no different than having no VLANs at all and everything IP’d from the same subnet.

Further still -the only issue is broadcast traffic needs to be proxied in both directions. So if you have an endpoint in a different VLAN it needs to send broadcast to Roon in addition to Roon sending broadcast back.

I have a music VLAN with Ropieees and a Sonos thing. I have a windows machine that used to be an endpoint but it was flaky sending broadcast bidirectionally across the two VLANs, and honestly at that point really defeats the purpose. So now my broadcast goes one way and I am able to control all the endpoints from the other VLANs but keep Roon relatively isolated.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.