Roon doesn't recognize McIntosh preamp without Settings|Audio|Retry

Roon Core Machine

Ubuntu 20.04
Zotac Zbox 2.1 GHz 8GB RAM
used this hardware platform for several years. No issues.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Core is connected directly to McIntosh C52 via USB. Same issue with McIntosh D1100.

Connected Audio Devices

USB
tested with multiple USB cables. No change.
tested with USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. No change.

Library Size

25,032 tracks

Description of Issue

I leave my Roon Core on 24/7. It is connected via USB to the McIntosh C52. When I power on my preamp, Roon won’t see the preamp. I have to go into Setup|Audio and perform a “Retry.” This occurs on a D1100 and a C52. After the “Retry,” it works fine until I power the preamp off again. After the power off, I have to repeat the “Retry.”

And, I have multiple Roon cores running the latest (1.8) release and all of them exhibit the same behavior. This issue does not occur on other devices I’ve used; Yamaha receiver, Sonore MicroRendu, Chromecast, Riva Wifi speakers, Primare NP5 streamer.

Also, this doesn’t happen with other audio software. As a troubleshooting measure, I pulled up RhythmBox on my Roon Core machine and made the same test using exactly the same hardware and OS setup. Started playing a song. Hit pause on RhythmBox. Powered down the preamp. Powered it back up. Hit play on RhythmBox and it played as normal, picking up where it left off. This tells me the issue is not with McIntosh and not with the operating system on my Core. As a software/hardware engineer, this tends to point the finger at the Roon software.

Thanks.

Dan
San Diego

Hello @Dan_Long,

I’m so sorry we’ve missed on your post for this long :sweat: . Please, accept my deepest apology.

We’ve checked with our technicians and what would help a lot in figuring out where the issue lies is a set of RAATServer logs.

Can you please upload the logs to Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com and post a link here? Please be sure to turn on “sharing by link”, instructions on how to do so for Dropbox can be found here and for Google Drive can be found here.

Thanks in advance :pray: