Roon doesn't update any metadata

@support,

Any luck looking at the logs? Is there anything I can send to you?

Thanks for the help.
Matt

We looked at the diagnostics, and everything here points to something environmental – it seems like Roon is unable to talk with our servers.

A few things to try – first, you might want to try a different DNS server on ROCK, just to eliminate that variable. For instance, you could try Google DNS using 8.8.8.8.

You might also consider putting your internal router on a different subnet from your DSL modem. For example, if the DSL modem is giving out 192.168.1.xxx addresses, set up the router to distribute 192.168.2.xxx addresses.

Just make sure once you do that to set any static addresses to be on the .2 range. You could also just leave DHCP duties to the router in this case, which is another good way to simplify things and troubleshoot.

These are just basic first steps, but this is a reasonably straightforward setup, so it’s worth starting there and seeing how we do.

@mike,

Thanks so much for responding. I’m grateful and hopeful.

I can try those things, and will try to do some of that tonight. The 8.8.8.8 is simple. So, I’ll try that first.

In the meantime, is there anything I can check in the /Data directory on ROCK that would give us an indication? Are you able to see the logs, or can I send them to you?

Is there anything that might not’ve installed correctly on the NUC that could cause these things? Anything I should trying reinstalling?

Another long shot, among the others offered.

Do you have many static IPs? Could there be a collision amongst them?

Some router software incorrectly allows one to assign the same IP to more than one device.

Could this be a factor?

Just saying …

Based on what we saw from the diagnostics report, this really does seem like networking. There are ways the NUC could be misconfigured, but they wouldn’t manifest like this.

I wish there was something more straightforward here, but so far everything points to the environment. Let us know how things go with the networking tests, and we’ll go from there Matt.

@xxx

Thanks for chiming in. I definitely have seen that scenario in the past where a router will assign a static IP to another device. But, I’m confident that I don’t have that situation with my current set up. I only have 4 devices that have static IPs, and none conflict with the address of Rock/NUC. Sound logical?

Matt

1 Like

@mike

I tried the 8.8.8.8 on the Rock/NUC last night. No change. (I only need to change it in the Rock config, right?)

I’ll need to carve out more time to create the new subnet and make sure that I don’t miss anything in the details.

In the meantime, your suggestion did trigger one thought I think I’ll also get a look at the config in the DSL modem, itself. I think I have all router functionality turned off in the DSL modem, but I need double-check all those settings to be sure I didn’t miss anything/create some conflict.

Matt

@mike,

I think you nailed it!! I dug into my modem, reset the ip address of the modem to 192.168.0.1 and left the router at 192.168.1.1. That solved the problem. Al the music has been identified!!

I wonder what else this might solve in my network…hmmmm.

I am truly grateful for everyone who chimed in to help. It’s great to have a community devoted to helping.

Best regards,
Matt

Awesome, great news! Enjoy!!

This topic was automatically closed after 22 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.