Roon downsampling DSD256 to 128 though Linn DSM supports 256

Please disable DLNA Media Server and Twonky Server on QNAP and check whether Linn app can still play your local files on QNAP.

2 Likes

Yes, that is the reason the Linn app works, and it has been working fine for the last few years or so.
Another work around the limitation of Roon - I send hires audio files to the HQPlayer via Roon, and it is fine so far.

That’s what I thought. Linn would never put the work in to make the Linn App work with a Roon server alone. And I doubted that my Nucleus was running some kind of media server on the side - just not how they do things and would be against the standard wisdom of keeping audio chains simple as possible.

I used to use a QNAP + Kazoo Server combo but now use a 8tb ssd inside my Nucleus to store the music so no way to have another server running (at least not simply).

As a fellow Linn owner (KDS/3, KK/2, C4100 x 2 into M140’s (Aktiv) + M126), I do share your frustration.

God only knows why these things take so long :unamused:

1 Like

I do “double” (or even triple) backups, the same music library on my Nucleus, on a QNAP, and mirrored on the MS onedrive.

However, this is very frustrating to say the least, not sure why Roon takes it that long.

It’s very interesting that Lumin has just had their P1 approved by Roon:

I think some companies embrace Roon. And others are quite indifferent…

1 Like

@beka @dylan

Do you have any updates on this issue? I understand that Linn has done the work on their side.

It’s been ~9 months. Will be a year before you know it.

Thanks,
Michael

1 Like

Hey @Michael_Faoro and all :wave:

Thanks for following up and bringing this to our attention, @Michael_Faoro :pray:. I’ve checked with our team and I can confirm that we have received the information from Linn, as you seem to have found out yourself.

The work is in the development queue :nerd_face: . We’ll keep you posted whenever there are updates.

1 Like

Thanks @beka.

Not sure where I heard that. Either this community or the Linn forums on hifi wigwam.

I can make the device artwork if that speeds things up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there still no progress on this?

I had my Katalyst KDS upgraded to Organik this week. I get native DSD256 via UPnP but Roon is downsampling to DSD128.

I’m just waiting for my KDS/3 to come back from Linn with an Organik upgrade.

Apparently, there is a problem with some upgrades due to Linn moving from IPv4 to IPv6. This is why mine has gone back to HQ.

I suspect Linn have just ‘given up’ getting new products ‘Roon Tested’ by Roon? If you look at their partner page, even the updated 2020 Majik range is not listed.

Contrast that with, for example, the Chord Mojo 2 which was launched a few months ago, which is now showing up as Roon Tested.

Roon won’t pass DSD256 to Organik DAC’s until the Organik DAC achieves ‘Roon Tested’ status by Roon.

When that happens is anyone’s guess…

1 Like

I encountered this issue. When I collected the KDS the dealer was gushing with praise about how it had sounded during testing, it being the first Organik board they had fitted. When I got home the KDS would not boot. Same again on a second power cycle. I thought for a moment and figured that a network conflict might be the cause, and tried disconnecting the network cable and power cycled again. This time the KDS booted, and when I connected the network cable it picked up an address from the router and was visible in Konfig. However re-booting had the same problem. I have found that disabling IPv6 in Konfig is helpful with re-booting, but the problem has recurred from time to time on testing. I’ve posted this on the Linn development forum and Linn have replied to acknowledge this issue is not isolated. Hopefully a Davaar fix will come along soon.

In the meantime, the Organik update is sounding marvellous, it’s a very substantial upgrade indeed over Katalyst. To be fair, Katalyst was behind some of the competition, but with Organik the KDS is hard to dismiss as a compact single-box streamer.

5 Likes

There are some guys arguing that all DACs sound the same in this topic (Do all DACs sound the same?)

I own two Organik-based systems: 1) Klimax DSM 2021 with ATC SCM40A active speakers; 2) Organik-upgraded Klimax 350 active speakers (originally Katalyst) with a new Klimax system hub (actually, temporarily a Klimax Organik DSM while my system is being built). I run both from Roon, but just PCM, as I don’t see much of a reason to use external upsampling/modulation instead of letting Organik do the job. I’ve owned #1 for several months, totally happy with that setup. But then I got the other setup finally fully upgraded, and I’m in awe: 350s with Organik + new hub + redoing Space Opt (+ moving to SFP from copper Ethernet, blush).

I get my Organik KDS back from the dealers tomorrow.

I hope it’s worth the hype! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Martin_Kelly getting my KDS updated tomorrow too!

1 Like

Let me know what you think Mick! :grinning:

I doubt you will be disappointed :).

Except in the inability to play DSD256 through Roon.

2 Likes

Luckily, I don’t have any DSD256 content to play. But I sympathise with those users who do.