Roon Dropouts - Why?

Roon keeps dropping out. I’m playing Roon, and the songs will stop, and I get an error ‘Roon lost control of audio’. Why ??

Set Up Below. I know, this isn’t the ideal set up, however I’m currently work from my main home and having to make do.

Source : Tidal
Win 10 PC i7 32 GB - Roon Core & Client. - Wired.
Sonos Fives - Wired, and is the only zone. Sonos Streaming enabled, via AirPlay disabled.

The Win 10 PC is only used as the Roon Core / Client, and internet browsing, and isn’t running anything intensive.

This is it very frustrating as, when Roon drops out I open the Sonos app on the Win10 PC, browse to the same album on Tidal, and it plays every time, with out any drop outs or failures. So, why Does Roon keep dropping out ?

It’s not Wi-Fi as everything is wired, and I can play via Sonos app, using the same source (Tidal).

Any help please?

I got my first two drop outs in like 8 months. I attribute to network as it reconnected in a few seconds and continued to play.

Mine doesn’t reconnect. However, no problems via the sonos app.

Is anybody able to provide any information please ?
Roon Support are you able to make any suggestions to the cause ?

For example, if I purchased a Roon Nucleus, am I going to have the same problem ?

Thanks for any suggestions / information to help resolve.

Same issue here after an update

Hey @Phil_Smith,

Thanks for posting your question, we’d be happy to take a look and help with this.

First, I’ll move your thread to the support channel, we can’t always keep as close an eye on the Roon Software channel. Posting in the support channel is the best way to get our attention.

You can also use @support to get our attention directly.

So we can better assist you with your Sonos issue, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

@support @Jamie - Thanks.

SET UP
ROON - 1.8 (Build 898).

CORE - Win 10 PC, i7-7700 @4.20Ghz, 32 GB Ram
OS Windows 10 Pro, version 21H1.
CLIENT - As Above.

AUDIO - Sonos - Pair of Fives. (only single zone).
- Sonos Streaming Enabled, Airplay Disabled for Fives.

AUDIO SOURCE - Tidal.

NETWORK
PC Wired
Sonos Beam. (Wired).
All Sonos components show as Wired, due to Mesh
network.

MORE DETAILS
I’ve been using Roon for over 12 months, and this has been happening regularly. I had previously put this down to poor Wi-Fi & ISP provider drop outs.
However, I’ve changed to Fiber ISP, increased download speed by 50%, and I’ve connected Sonos & PC via a Ethernet cable, and internet connection is stable, and regularly speed test, but I’m still having the same problem.

ERROR
‘Roon has lost control of Audio Device’
This doesn’t re-connect, by pressing play again, and unable to play again.
However, I can play the same Album from Tidal, using the Sonos app on the Same PC, without dropouts or failures.

SCREENSHOTS
RoonPath
Sonos-Wired

This is similar to this error, as I get the same behavior before the error message.

Please advise.

I had this to on My sonos 5/Connect and PecanPi, the fix below worked for me…

1. Restore from backup (I had one from two weeks ago)
  2. Let the update process run through again
  3. Bingo started to work straightaway

The update definitely caused this (for me) - this may or may not work for you!

Steve

Hello Phil,

I installed the current update (build 898) yesterday. TIDAL has been running smoothly on various players for 11 hours.

Unfortunately, I can’t help you with your problem.

However, the support will certainly take care of it.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.