Roon dropping iPhone and iPad connection randomly after last update

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

2019 iMac, Catalina 10.15.3
Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple airport extreme
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iPhone Xr, iPad air
Description Of Issue

ever since the latest update Roon loses connection with these devices. Connections were stable and reliable prior to the update. The core starts and stays alive but randomly drops these connections .

Looking at the support section it appears others are having similar issues.

Hi @Philip_sims,

When Roon loses the connection, are you still in the Roon app? Or does this behavior only occur after exiting and re-opening the Roon app?

You should be aware that generally speaking, we have seen poor performance from Apple networking gear, so much that we explicitly mention staying away from these types or routers in our Networking Best Practices Guide. This is not to say that the issue is 100% due to the router you are using, but it is a variable to consider.

[Email address hidden by support]

Thanks for the response. The connection lose occurs even when the core Roon is open on the desktop. Until this recent update Roon was stable even if the window was closed. when the connection(s) are lost it appears like even just “touching” the open window causes a re-connection, which randomly lost within minutes or sometimes an hour or so. Previously I could launch Roon, close the window and all was well.

As to the apple router… I have been using it for years and never had an issue with Roon (or anything else for that matter) until now.

Looking at other supports requests and the meetings you at Roon have been having it seems like I am not alone.

Please advise when you are ready to try a fix for the issue… I fell in LOVE with Roon a couple of years ago because " It just works!" It’s the best Human/Music interface (When it “works” )

Thank for your efforts to resolve this issue!

Regards,

Phil

Hi @Philip_sims,

This is an interesting symptom, I don’t believe the other reports mention similar behavior. Do you by any chance have any active firewalls on the Core? I would use these instructions to check your Apple firewall. After that, can you confirm if you have any additional firewalls (McAFee/Kaspersky/Little Snitch/Bullguard)?

Noris,
The connection loss under both circumstances. That is what I meant by “randomly”. I do not have any firewalls on the core . I just checked in the system prefs as instructed to verify. No third party firewall apps either. This is new behavior since build 521. Is there a way to revert to a previous build in an effort to confirm that the behavior is linked to the 521 release?

Hi @Philip_sims,

Downgrading versions of Roon is unfortunately not supported, but I’m happy to take a look to see what can be done on the new version and troubleshoot this further.

Let’s proceed as follows:

1. Please note the exact local time + date this behavior next occurs (you don’t have access via your Roon Remotes to the Core)

2. Note the exact local time + date you touch the window to cause the re-connection

3. Let me know the timestamps here

4. I will enable diagnostics mode for your Core and see if logs indicate any further clues

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.