Roon DSD256 file playback to Uniti Atom

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS / 2 vCPU & 4 GB RAM (VM) / Roon 1.7 (Build 710)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

VM across vnet to 24 Ports Unifi switch across to 8 port Unifi switch (all cat 6)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Audio Quest Cinnamon in to Naim Uniti Atom

Description Of Issue

I’ve have around 5 days left on a trial and have been testing out playback of DSD256 files. I know the Naim Uniti Atom supports up to DSD128.

There is around a 6 second wait from pushing play until the playback starts and sound is heard.

Sounds good, great in fact however there is some stuttering.

I suspect this is the fact that I have Roon Core on a VM (2 vCPU and 4 GB RAM).

Before I reinstall on to a small Dell Optiplex machine I have sitting in my cabinet (I didn’t install it here to start with since I didn’t want to run the machine the whole time) would folk agree that this is the most likely cause for the break in playback.

To get around this I usually need to pause and then click play again.

The does look busy… I might have answered my own question but any opinions or tweaks I can do on Roon to get around this appreciated.

Yes your core isn’t up to converting DSD as processing speed Is too low. DSD conversion is an expensive CPU process for any system to perform in real-time.

1 Like

Thanks @CrystalGipsy

Do you reckon this could be solved by increasing the number of cores? Or is it a processor speed limitation, do you think?

More cores won’t help Roon uses max of two. It’s generally speed of CPU but, network and OS are also factors that have an effect. You need a decent modern i7 for DSD resampling to have the overheads. Having more ram would not hurt either.

Processor speed needs to be sitting at or above 2x. In the DSP settings verify that Parallelize Delta Sigma Modulator is Checked, if not, check it and test the DSD conversion again. It might help.

Isn’t that for conversion to pcm or does it work for converting DSD to DSD as well?

Thanks @Rugby - checked that setting out but same problem as before. I guess I could convert DSD256 down to DSD128 and load these in to my library instead.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.