Roon Endpoint with Optical Out to MiniDSP 2x4 HD

You should use a rpi or other dac with stereo analog outputs and use one output for left Minidsp line in and the other for right Minidsp in. I don’t think you will be able to use the 2 Minidsp via usb streaming input

You appear to have to a duplicate post elsewhere… @moderators please combine

Mr. Fix it thanks for your input. Based on your thoughts I think I will do the following. Please me know if you think my idea would work.

My plan is to do the following:

1. Pi USB out to
  2. Project Pre Box 2s (DAC/Preamp) USB in
  3. Project Pre Box 2s RCA out to’
  4. ModWright Pre Amp RCA In
  5. ModWright Pre Amp RCA out #1 to Amp for tweeter and mid range (passive ox)
  6. ModWright Pre Amp RCA out #2 to MiniDSP (only using one DSP) to woofers ( 2 per side) into amp to woofers

Again thank you much for your help. Taipan

Mr. Fix It

I had another thought. I believe this was you recommendation to me. See below:

1. PI USB out to
  2. Project Pre Box 2s - USB In
  3. Project Pre Box 2s - RCA Out
  4. Pre Box RCA out left to first MiniDSP RCA in (would have 4 channels for each driver on left speaker)
  5. Pre Box RCA out right to second MiniDSP RCA in (to each driver on right speaker)
  6. I have an 8 channel Marantz amp and would plug in outs from MiniDSP’s to in channels on amp

Do you think the above would be best? Thanks so much for your help.

Taipan

1 Like

I am still confused by the idea of using two miniDSP 2x4 HD. From you last posts it seems that all you wish to accomplish is a two-way active crossover and biamping—that is, above the cutoff to tweeter+midrange, and below the cutoff to woofers. If that is correct and you are not looking into a three-way active crossover, then simply using one miniDSP 2x4 HD should be enough. And from what I can gather from their documentation, Toslink, USB and analogue inputs are supported:

Of course, there’s always the other option to go for an active crossover in the analogue domain, using the DAC of your choice. This is the way I actually would prefer. I don’t know if you know about the parts offered by Xkitz Electronics which are for do-it-yourselfer:

Of course, they also supply a Stereo 3-way active crossover in a fully assembled box:

Greg, my sincere advice to you is this:

First thing, you will have to make up your mind about two important points:

(1) 2-way or 3-way crossover?
(2) In the digital domain (miniDSP) or in the analogue domain (Linkwitz-Riley)?

Working the crossover in the digital domain, you will be able to use some Roon endpoint with USB output to go into the USB input of the MiniDSP.

Working the crossover in the analogue domain, you will use the very same Roon endpoint with USB output into the USB input of the DAC of your choice. The DAC’s output will go into the input of the active crossover.

With these things a little clearer in your mind, you should contact both sellers with your planned setup (including speaker driver details) and with what you wish to accomplish. Let them help you fine-tune your setup, and then you decide upon which option seems more attractive to you.

Andreas

Thank you very much for your input. I am trying to do a 4 way crossover. Tweeter (1), mid range (2), first subwoofer (250-500hz) and second woofer (30-250hz). As you suggested I have reached out to MiniDSP to obtain their recommendation regarding my setup. I want to thank you again for your input.

Taipan

This yes… MiniDSP have many products and the 4x10HD would perhaps be the better one and feed it with a digital SPDIF/AES/TOSLINK source, but one issue with the 2x4HS is that in order to use digital inputs you cant split it…so must use line in and line out to the 4 speaker amps per chjannel…this of course results in A-D-A again…

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.