Roon Core Machine

Windows 10, i5-4460, 16gb RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Ethernet and wifi connections to Sonos speakers

Number of Tracks in Library

76,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Hi, I know this has been reported before, but both threads are closed and there didn’t seem to be a resolution or cause identified. I get this problem most days and have to restart Roon each time - the “A new guard page for the stack cannot be created” error message comes up and the next song will not play and Roon crashes.

I don’t think I have a massive database, compared to others on here.

I am due to update my PC fairly soon and will increase the RAM size, but I would have assumed 16gb would have been enough.

Any thoughts on the cause and a solution would be appreciated?

Many thanks

Hi Mark,

That error usually indicates the system has run out of memory (RAM). Take a look in task manager and see how much ram is being used.

At 76k tracks (I am assuming that includes any you have favorited on streaming services because those count towards database size), the 16 gb should be good.

Are you running anything else on this PC?
Are you running Roon or RoonServer?

Thanks Dan, I thought it might be RAM, but equally thought 16gb would be enough - although I do use this PC for work as well (Outlook, Word, Excel and Chrome mainly - the latter of which seems to use a large amount of memory) and listen to music all day long.

Just been looking at task manager and I hadn’t realised how much memory each Chrome tab - it soon adds up. Roon itself seems to be pretty static at 2gb - but everything else is adding up. Total is just over 10gb, but that’s after I’ve closed a few things down and many Chrome tabs.

Looks like it’s time for an upgrade, which I’ve been thinking about for a while anyway and increase RAM to 32gb.

Thanks for your help

2 Likes

Glad to have been of help. :smiley:

I’ve been getting the same error for quite some time as well. The error seems to arise after the Roon core has been minimized and I go to bring it back up. 64GB of memory in my machine, Roon shows it is using only 8GB of memory. The whole machine is only using 25% of the 64GB so it is certainly not running out of memory.

More than slightly annoying.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.