Roon Extension: Alarm Clock v0.9.1 (current)

I was thinking about a set and forget approach, so you select a big playlist once and shuffle takes care that you are not waking up every morning with the same track. I had not guested that there are users who take the time to compile a playlist every night for the next morning, but now i know :wink:

No, reason being that i did not know what to change :slight_smile:. I do have a few open points for other extensions though, so I donā€™t know when I will look into this.

Ah, thatā€™s a pity. Because I might have a second request:
In Sonos all weekly alarms are persistent, meaning I donā€™t have to activate, say, the ā€˜Mondayā€™ alarm, for the next week each time after it has run. Just this morning I discovered that in your Alarm Clock extension I do have to do that. So at least once a week I need to set all alarms to ā€˜activeā€™. Maybe it would be possible to add an option to make the weekly alarm settings permanent?

But of course the most important thing is that your Alarm Clock works and it does. With the fade-in set to one minute, a charming Haydn symphony (No. 82 ā€œlā€™Oursā€, for the die-hard classical fans) glided into our bedroom this morning and awoke us in a very pleasant manner. So, thanks once again!

That is in, have you enabled Repeat?

1 Like

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Jan, but I was under the assumption that the option ā€œRepeatā€ referred to repeating the playlist that was chosen to be played at wake-up time, and did not refer to the alarm setting itself. With hindsight I was stupid not to check out the exact working of this ā€˜Repeatā€™ setting. If I may venture a guess as to why I didnā€™t, I think it was caused by my huge frustration with the change in the Sonos UI that was introduced some time ago, where a playlist that is chosen to be played as an alarm is ALWAYS repeated, without a way for the user to change this strange and utterly unwanted behaviour.
My apologies, of course!
As a result of your latest post I have immediately set all ā€˜Repeatā€™ settings to ā€˜Enabledā€™ in the Alarm Clock extension.

Promise is debt, as they say, so here is my experience with a ā€˜from scratchā€™ installation of the extension manager on a clean machine. Today I have installed a headless ā€œRoon Serverā€ on a Windows i5 laptop. For my 2 week trial I had first installed the full Roon (Core plus UI) on the PC I work on daily, but now that I have decided to become a permanent member of the Roon family, I wanted to migrate the Core to a machine that is somewhat more energy efficientā€¦
Of course it would be nonsensical to keep having the Extension Manager (and thus the Alarm Clock) installed on my Windows i7 PC, and so I had to install it on the i5 laptop as well. Where I had followed a somewhat less than efficient and quite erratic installation path the first time around, this time all went well using the setup-win64-v0.5.2.exe that I had downloaded from here.
I could just sit back this time and watch the command box screen be filled as follows:

Welcome to the club!

Iā€™m having a problem with Alarm Clock (0.7.4) starting music on my Naim Mu-so 2nd gen. Things worked fine for a while. Then after an update to the Mu-so firmware (or some such), Alarm Clock does start music, but it always plays at minimum volume, so that I cannot hear anything. I can walk over to the Mu-so and manually turn up the volume and hear music, so there was indeed a ā€œsessionā€ begun. If, on the other hand, I use Roon Remote (on an Android tablet) to start music (either internet radio or music from my local library) on the Mu-so, the music starts at a decent (audible) volume.

The alarm is set to play at volume 50 an internet radio station, with transition (fading) of 1 minute.

Sounds like a fading issue. Can you check if all is OK if you turn fading off?

On what system is the extension running? It probably requires a log file to get into the details of this.

Iā€™ve set the timer to instant.

The OS where Roon Server/Core is running is Win10 Pro x64.

With fading removed, things are working. (In fact, volume 50 is too loud, so Iā€™ll reduce that.)

@Jan_Koudijs
Quick question: If I group an endpoint for which an alarm is programmed, will it work for the grouped endpoints?
Iā€™ll find out in the morning anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

I never checked this, so I am curious about what you found out this morning.

I think that a good indication would be to check if the grouped zone is included in the Zone dropdown in the extension setup.

It just worked. :+1:
Now music in the bathroom is synced with the bedroom.
The grouped zone is not in the Zone dropdown though.

Curious ā€” did you select the primary zone, or the added zone?

I did not change the settings, just grouped the two endpoints in Roon.

Hi @Jan_Koudijs,

Sorry to disturb you but Iā€™m having a problem with the Alarm Clock extension. In the past few weeks it has happened three times that the music stopped after some 10 to 30 seconds, while the fade-in was still in progress. I use three Sonos zones grouped as one: Slaapkamer, Keuken and Badkamer. This morning the music paused at 14 seconds into the first track in the queue. I reached for my phone, started the Roon app and noticed that the volume on the ā€œSlaapkamerā€ Sonos Zone was muted (the light on the Sonos unit also burned permanently), while the two other Sonos Zones were still at volume level 46, just I had set them the night before. I pushed the Play button to start up the music again and changed the volume setting of the ā€œSlaapkamerā€ Sonos back up to 46 again. I did this using the ā€œ+ā€ button as can be seen in the logging)
Hereā€™s the relevant part of this morningā€™s log:

Might this be a case of a ā€œfading problemā€, as you yourself named it somewhere else in this topic?

Hi @Hans_Valeton,

Unfortunately the log file is empty. To have a look at the issue I need the output of the Alarm Clock extension. If you use the Extension Manager you can do a ā€œRestart (with logging)ā€ for the Alarm Clock extension, as described in this post:

Hi @Jan_Koudijs,

Thanks for the tip.
This morning however, I have uninstalled the Extension Manager (as well as the Roon core and clients on my Windows machines) and have started anew to see if my (other) performance issues will disappear or persevere.

This time around I will wait till the core is absolutely stable before I install the Extension Manager again.
As soon as I have done so I will test the Alarm Clock again and let you know!

@Jan_Koudijs is it allowable or problematic to have more than one Alarm Clock instance running on the network. If one has 2 RPiā€™s running Ropieee with the AC turned on or perhaps a windows setup and a RPI will things break or will there just be 2 nodes that can be used for alarms?

Sorry about that. I just had a look and indeed the log file in my own directory is also empty. Must have made a copy-paste error of some sort.:pensive:
Unfortunately I donā€™t have the original log file anymore. Iā€™ll just have to test again.