Roon Extension: CD Ripper v0.6.1 (2022-12-24)

Have you tried to perform the configuration with a few different CDs? Looks like the CD is not detected.

Do you hear the drive spinning up and down?

Yes tried different CDs and yes the drive spins up during the process. Just doesnā€™t configure.

I donā€™t know if I can come up with a solution for this. It might be something specific to the QNAP / Whipper combination.

Although I donā€™t expect any difference, you might try to run the command directly, i.e. exclude the CD Ripper extension from the equation. You can do this by opening a console on the container:

docker exec -it roon-extension-cd-ripper bash

And then giving the drive analyze command

whipper drive analyze

It could be the drive is not well supported on the Qnap. They do only officially support 4 models which are Blu-ray drives. However Ive run Vortexbox OS for 18 months to use it autoripper that uses cdparanoia in a VM and that can use the drive ok without issues, so odd this is causing a problem.

Tried manually
CRITICAL:whipper.command.drive:cannot analyze the drive: is there a CD in it?

Progress I decided to look at the whipper help and currently this is happening :slight_smile:
root@SimonNAS:/dev# whipper drive list
drive: /dev/cdrom, vendor: Slimtype, model: eBAU108 6 L , release: PL0M
WARNING:whipper.command.drive:no read offset found. Run ā€˜whipper offset findā€™
WARNING:whipper.command.drive:unknown whether audio cache can be defeated. Run ā€™ whipper drive analyzeā€™
root@SimonNAS:/dev# whipper offset find
INFO:whipper.command.offset:checking device /dev/cdrom
eject: tried to use devtmpfs' as device name but it is no block device eject: unable to find or open device for:/dev/cdromā€™
Device /dev/cdrom is mounted, unmounting
umount: /dev/cdrom: must be superuser to unmount.
INFO:whipper.command.offset:trying read offset 6ā€¦
INFO:whipper.command.offset:offset of device is likely 6, confirmingā€¦
Ripping track 2 with read offset 6 16 %

Hello,

I am very new to the topic of extension.

I would like to know, if it is also possible to have the CD-drive connected to the Roon endpoint (Diet-Pi) and not to the core?

How do I have to tell the extension where to find the drive and how to save at a folder on my qnap NAS?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I suggest you read the instructions further up. Yes it can work on a pi running dietpi it does not need to be on the core. However you will need docker installed on the pi.

For installation on DietPi the YouTube video might be handy:

CD Ripper v0.2.0 is now available

This release adds the possibility to combine separate rips into a multi disk album. The steps are:

• Convert the first disk to a Multi Disk album
  • Append the other disks in the correct order to the Multi Disk album
  • Push to Multi Disk album to your music library to get it recognized by Roon

The feature is demonstrated in this YouTube video:

How to install / update

The recommended way to install or update is via the Roon Extension Manager.

If the manager has auto update enabled then the changes will be pulled in the next time the update is performed. It is also possible to update manually via the Settings dialog, select the CD Ripper from the Tools category and perform the update action.

CD Ripper bug-fix release v0.2.1

I discovered that an album with a special character in the title, e.g. a question mark, could not be pushed due to special character replacement in the directory name. This has now been fixed with this release.

Wow I missed this one completely

1 Like

Still could not get this to work on my QNAP and usb drive. So I am back to using Vortexbox VM on the QNAP instead.

Hi. First time poster, long time lurker. Thanks, Jan for creating this (and other) helpful tools! Iā€™ve successfully installed CD Ripper on my Ubuntu ā€œBionicā€ NUC and have ripped a few CDs. Hereā€™s where Iā€™m stuck: after ripping and pushing out, I donā€™t know where the files go to! In global settings, I specā€™d my local share at ~/music. Butā€¦ the files arenā€™t there. Any thoughts or suggestions? Cheers.

Hi @brians,

If you want to store the rips in the ~/music folder on the NUC then you have to setup the Local Music Share while installing the extension (assuming you are using the Extension Manager). If you did not provide this setting during installation then you first have to uninstall the extension and then reinstalling it by providing the setting in the Docker Install Options, in your case something like /home/<user>/music.

CD Ripper v0.3.0 is now available

This release adds two new features:

• There is now a Rip & Push action that rips a CD and pushes it into your library in a single run.
  • After drive configuration or a CD rip the drive automatically ejects.

Special thanks to @Anthro for letting me know that not every drive has an eject button and auto eject thus adds value.

How to install / update

The recommended way to install or update is via the Roon Extension Manager.

If the manager has auto update enabled then the changes will be pulled in the next time the update is performed. It is also possible to update manually via the Settings dialog, select the CD Ripper from the Tools category and perform the update action.

CD Ripper works fine. Moderate performance. dBpoweramp CD ripper still my first choice.

1 Like

Hi @Swiss,
Thanks for the feedback!

On what platform do you run the CD Ripper?

I run CD Ripper Roon ROCK on a NUC7iBNK.

Maybe difference in performance is due to the performance of a USB CD drive compared to integrated CD drive on my windows 10 computer running dBpoweramp CD Ripper.

Other difference I observed are the meta datas for CDs which are not in the roon database. There I get more complete results under dBpoweramp CD Ripper (eg artwork).

Ah, you are using the ROCK CD Ripper. This thread is about a CD Ripper extension that runs on (non-ROCK) Linux systems. I can understand the confusion.