Roon Extension Manager v0.11.9 [Obsolete]

Roon Extension Manager v0.6.0 is now available

The number of extensions in the Extension Repository is increasing, nice community effort :+1:

The Extension Manager currently provides a single pull down with the extensions and is about to reach a point at which the usability gets lower. On a small size remote the pull down is getting close to the bottom of the settings dialog:

To improve on this version 0.6.0 introduce extension categories to create room for future expansion. The division is as follows:

Category Extensions
System Extension Manager
Extension Repository
Playback Alarm Clock
Random Radio
Device Control Arcam AVR390/550…
Denon/Marantz AVR
Logitech Harmony
Web / Connectivity RESTful Roon Remote
Web Controller

The new situation with category selection:

How to update

If auto update is enabled then the changes will be pulled in the next time the update is performed. It is also possible to update manually via the Settings dialog, select the Extension Manager and perform the update action.
2 Likes

Hi Jan
Thanks for letting me know… will try it when I’m free…
By the way, is it possible to increase the number of alarm?..
I have got five zones and need two or three more alarms…
Thx.
Jean

I still don’t understand how to get the extension manager to survive a reboot on OSX? Has anyone found an easy way? Without that it’s just not very practical for me… Thanks.

I still can’t work out how to update so have to reinstall each time to get to a new version.
There’s no option to manually update either so something is strange about my install. I know I should send you some logs, Jan. Which ones?

What is the version that you are running? Manual update of the extension manager itself was introduced in version 0.5.0.

For the auto update, I suggest you try the following:

• Stop all running extensions. Use killall node, if that is available in Mac OS, or otherwise reboot to start off clean
  • Switch to the extension manager directory: cd ~/.RoonExtensions/lib/node_modules/roon-extension-manager
  • Start it: node . ignore
  • Now log messages should roll over the screen
  • Set the auto update time a few minutes ahead of the actual time, when the time is reached an ‘It’s update time!’ message should appear in the log
  • Wait till the logging gets quiet again, till a few minutes have passed, or the program terminates (what ever comes first)
  • Copy the output from the update marker till the end of the logging and post it here

That would require a code change.

The Alarm Clock did not have an update for quite some time, so maybe I should spend some time on a few improvements.

Hi Jan
Thx a lot
Yes it will be nice to have a update … very good work my friend
I have got a spare Pi 3b… if you want me to do some testing on beta work…will be happy to help.
Just email me the how to.
Cheers

Roon Extension Manager v0.6.1 is now available (bug fix)

With version 0.6.0 a bug was introduced in the installation of the extension repository at first start. This bug is now fixed.

@Le_Dom, Thanks for the report!

If you run into this bug you can recover from it with a manual update

npm update -g roon-extension-manager

Running 0.5.1.

Here’s the log, captured from when I updated the update time and for 3 minutes after the “It’s update time!” message.

<- REQUEST 131 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {“settings”:{“values”:{“update_time”:“11:30”}},“is_dry_run”:true}
-> COMPLETE 131 Success {“settings”:{“values”:{“update_time”:“11:30”},“layout”:[{“type”:“group”,“title”:"[GLOBAL SETTINGS]",“items”:[{“type”:“string”,“title”:“Check for updates @ [hh:mm]”,“setting”:“update_time”}]},{“type”:“dropdown”,“title”:"[EXTENSION]",“values”:[{“title”:"(select extension)"},{“title”:“Alarm Clock”,“value”:3},{“title”:“Denon/Marantz AVR”,“value”:6},{“title”:“Extension Manager”,“value”:1},{“title”:“Extension Repository”,“value”:2},{“title”:“Logitech Harmony”,“value”:5},{“title”:“RESTful Roon Remote”,“value”:7},{“title”:“Web Controller”,“value”:4}],“setting”:“selected_extension”},{“type”:“group”,“title”:"(no extension selected)",“items”:[]},{“type”:“group”,“title”:"[PENDING ACTIONS]",“items”:[{“type”:“label”,“title”:"(none)"}]}],“has_error”:false}}
<- REQUEST 132 com.roonlabs.settings:1/save_settings {“settings”:{“values”:{“update_time”:“11:30”}},“is_dry_run”:false}
-> COMPLETE 132 Success {“settings”:{“values”:{“update_time”:“11:30”},“layout”:[{“type”:“group”,“title”:"[GLOBAL SETTINGS]",“items”:[{“type”:“string”,“title”:“Check for updates @ [hh:mm]”,“setting”:“update_time”}]},{“type”:“dropdown”,“title”:"[EXTENSION]",“values”:[{“title”:"(select extension)"},{“title”:“Alarm Clock”,“value”:3},{“title”:“Denon/Marantz AVR”,“value”:6},{“title”:“Extension Manager”,“value”:1},{“title”:“Extension Repository”,“value”:2},{“title”:“Logitech Harmony”,“value”:5},{“title”:“RESTful Roon Remote”,“value”:7},{“title”:“Web Controller”,“value”:4}],“setting”:“selected_extension”},{“type”:“group”,“title”:"(no extension selected)",“items”:[]},{“type”:“group”,“title”:"[PENDING ACTIONS]",“items”:[{“type”:“label”,“title”:"(none)"}]}],“has_error”:false}}
-> CONTINUE 124 Changed {“settings”:{“values”:{“update_time”:“11:30”},“layout”:[{“type”:“group”,“title”:"[GLOBAL SETTINGS]",“items”:[{“type”:“string”,“title”:“Check for updates @ [hh:mm]”,“setting”:“update_time”}]},{“type”:“dropdown”,“title”:"[EXTENSION]",“values”:[{“title”:"(select extension)"},{“title”:“Alarm Clock”,“value”:3},{“title”:“Denon/Marantz AVR”,“value”:6},{“title”:“Extension Manager”,“value”:1},{“title”:“Extension Repository”,“value”:2},{“title”:“Logitech Harmony”,“value”:5},{“title”:“RESTful Roon Remote”,“value”:7},{“title”:“Web Controller”,“value”:4}],“setting”:“selected_extension”},{“type”:“group”,“title”:"(no extension selected)",“items”:[]},{“type”:“group”,“title”:"[PENDING ACTIONS]",“items”:[{“type”:“label”,“title”:"(none)"}]}],“has_error”:false}}
<- REQUEST 133 com.roonlabs.settings:1/unsubscribe_settings {“subscription_key”:“23”}
-> COMPLETE 133 Unsubscribed
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {“message”:“Extension Repository loaded”,“is_error”:false}
-> CONTINUE 1 Changed {“message”:“Extension Repository loaded”,“is_error”:false}
It’s update time!
It’s update time!

Looks like the conclusion is drawn that there is nothing to update.

What is the output of the following command?

npm outdated -g --depth=0

And what is the npm version that you are using?

npm --version

First command has no output.
NPM version is 5.0.3 and I cannot seem to update so I will muck around and get it up to the latest and report back.

This is a known issue with certain versions of npm 5.x. Please try an update to 5.6.0 first, if that is still not working a downgrade to 4.x will probably fix it.

1 Like

Thanks Jan. NPM install was problematic it seems so I started fresh and all up and running with latest extension manager (sexy categories list!) and update functionality is now visible.

Keep up the great work, extension make Roon so powerful.

1 Like

Hi @Jan_Koudijs ,

I tried the windows installer last night but didn’t have much time to find out why it wasn’t working properly. The install seemed to go OK (Win 10 64bit) but when I went to Roon (ROCK) to look at the Extensions, the Roon Extension Manager entry was flashing on and off! When I managed to click on it, there were no entries populated in the two drop down boxes. Not sure where to go from here or what went wrong.

Sounds like you ran into the bug that is in version 0.6.0, fortunately there is a fix for it.

Please have a look at the version 0.6.1 post.

Thanks, will try again tonight if I have the time.

This Win 10 install is just an initial test. The eventual aim is to get this running on a Pi (on DietPi V6). Are there any step by step instructions to do this anywhere? I do not have the knowledge to adapt Linux build instructions if any changes are required.

Running it on DietPi has been done before (confirmed to be working by @Nathan_Wilkes). Your starting point should be the Linux installation thread.

Thanks will have a go with my next DietPi install shortly.

Hi @Jan_Koudijs ,

your update to 0.6.1 did the trick and it is now working. Many thanks for the work you have put into this. I had to turn off the Windows firewall though after installing @Mike_Plugge s Web controller. There was nothing obvious in the firewall that I could selectively turn off to make it work, so I had no option but to turn it off completely.

1 Like