Roon Extension Manager v0.8.1

(Jan Koudijs) #150

I forgot that you have to run the script in a loop, please try to run it like this:

while true; do ./roon-extension-manager.sh; done

Yes, curl is native.

No, I mistakenly ran the current Extension Manager.
When running roon-extension-manager.sh things seem to work much better. Extension Manager comes back in a ready to pair state and the Denon extension comes back running correctly.
There is one line of output after the script completes:

404: Not Found

(Jan Koudijs) #152

Good. Is the IP address you configured in the Denon extension restored after the update?

This is normal.

Maybe you can help me with another Mac OS question. Different users have asked me how they can start the Extension Manager at system start. Do you know how to run a command at startup or how to setup a service? If this could be added to the Mac OS installation instructions it can get on a par with the other OSes.

Yes, IP is restored.

I really thing the startup and running of extensions is something that Roon should implement.
There’s a number of ways to start an application at login, the best way for a service is using launchd however I have not managed to get any node.js services running using this method. I think there’s more required:
https://www.npmjs.com/package/node-launchd
http://www.launchd.info

At this page I get the service running using Automater which is a built in application to MacOS that provides a simple scripting language to automate simple tasks.

1. Launch Automator
  2. Select New Document
  3. Choose document type Application
  4. Scroll down the list of available Actions and double click Run Shell Script
  5. Paste into text input window:
    export PATH=/usr/local/bin/:$PATH
    cd ~/.RoonExtensions/lib/node_modules/roon-extension-manager
    node start.js
  6. Save
  7. Open System Preferences > Users & Groups and select your user.
  8. Click Login Items, click + and navigate to where your new application is saved.

(Jan Koudijs) #154

Thanks for the instructions @Astr0b0y.

I combined your Automator instructions with the instructions I provided previously to come up with macOS installation instructions.

If anything is wrong or missing, please let me know.

@Occamsrazor, this might be something for you to try.

Very nice work! Much appreciated. I followed the instructions and they worked fine, surviving a reboot. Now I can finally give it a try…

Diet Pi Installation Guides for Roon Extensions
Roon Extension: Roon Web Controller v1.2.0

Finally found the time to fix this. 0.0.6 will have both version informations aligned.

(Jean ) #157

Hello Jan

The Extension manager has disapeared from my system…

I can still see the alarm clock … but the actual extension manager is not longer showing on my server…or on my Roon interface.

Don’t know what when wrong… any chance to recover, or should i start everything from scratch?

Thx

Jean

(Jan Koudijs) #158

Hi @Jean_Siakeu,

Sorry for the slow response.

To restart, you can stop the running extensions

killall node

And then start the Extension Manager again

node start.js

This might also be an opportunity to try the Linux install script as I linked to previously. This has the advantage that it auto restarts in case something goes wrong.

(Jean ) #159

thanks Jan
I have tried the script … but it hang for quite a long time after the last command
“while true; do ./roon-extension-manager.sh; done”

(Jan Koudijs) #160

That command is an endless loop, so it is supposed to “hang”.

Which instructions did you follow? You are running on Linux, right?

(Jean ) #161

Hi Jan
Yes, I used Linux Debian

(Jan Koudijs) #162

You used the steps described here?

(Jean ) #163

Hi Jan

Don’t remember now to be honest … But I restarted the extension with the folloiwng command:

cd ~/.RoonExtensions/lib/node_modules/roon-extension-manager
node start.js

and it seem sto be working…

(Jan Koudijs) #164

Roon Extension Manager v0.7.0 is now available

This release adds the option to use local repository files, enabling the installation of extensions that are not included in the global repository. Although this features is intended for developers and integrators, tinkerers might find a use for it as well.

You can find more information about it on the Development page of the project Wiki.

How to update

If auto update is enabled then the changes will be pulled in the next time the update is performed. It is also possible to update manually via the Settings dialog, select the Extension Manager from the System category and perform the update action.

(Oliver Butcher) #165

I just wanted to say a big thank you to @Jan_Koudijs and @Astr0b0y. The past couple of days has been a steep learning curve into the world of extensions. What you guys can do blows my mind! As a Mac user, it has been scary experience playing with command windows but the level of detail in your instruction has made it really easy. I now have the Roon tools I need to convert a cassette player into a really cool Roon player. Thanks!

(Wim) #166

Strange thing happened.
My NUC/ROCK Core is connected to Ethernet (192.168.13.0/24) and Wi-Fi (10.3.201.0/24) with both subnets bridged in my network.
The Roon Extension Manager service is running an an HP MicroServer that is connected to Ethernet only.
I lost the Ethernet connection on the NUC due to a disconnected cable. The locking clip of the RJ45 plug broke off.
Roon kept running over Wi-Fi but all my extensions disappeared (except for the RoPieee extension).
So bridging of the subnets does not seem to keep the extensions alive.

(Jan Koudijs) #167

Is your RPi, running RoPieee, connected via WiFi or Ethernet?
Did the extensions re-appear after the Ethernet connection was restored?

(Wim) #168

Both RPi’s are connected via Ethernet, but Wi-Fi is enabled.
I suppose they are connected on both subnets.

Maybe @spockfish can confirm.

(Harry ten Berge) #169

I can.

But yeah, RoPieee does not disable ethernet when using WiFi. So if you keep the cable connected when WiFi is running as well you get 2 connections. Depending on your infrastructure that indeed might be on 2 different subnets.

@Jan_Koudijs if you need any help to figure this out then let me know. There’s now football over here for us Dutchies, so we have some spare time I guess :wink: