Roon Core Machine

iMac 2017, 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 40G memory

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet 2G

Connected Audio Devices

None

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

After update to the version 2.0 (build 1211 as well as 1223), everything is so slow and almost unusable. Every playback starts after a few minutes (whether local or streaming). Background audio analysis is very slow. Every page takes a few minutes to load. (The situation doesn’t change if background audio analysis is stopped.)

Memory usage seems OK (similar to the previous versions).
CPU usage seems too high.

This could be related to your post titled “Library referring to local files not existing”.

Try the suggestions there and see if it helps.

You might also try giving Roon a few cores for analysis:
“Settings/Library”

Thank you so much for your reply.
Before posting, I tried to make both settings “off,” and unfortunately the situation unchanged.

Hmm, having the exact same issue recently. Slow loading screens, takes minutes to start playing streaming or local tracks. Came here to see if anyone else had reported any issues.

Have way fewer tracks in my library though.

1 Like

To speed up the analysis you need to give it more cores not turn it off. Once analysis is done then you can throttle it or turn it off.

Thanks! I understand that. I made it off to identify the cause of the slowdown.

I have been having what seems to be the same issue - it appears to me to be a memory leak that requires me to constantly restart Roon Core on iMac to get 15 minutes or more of sluggish free use. Here is my support request:

Having the same situation here. Has been slow since the last update and now has completely stopped. Just getting the ROON load symbol…
On a Nucleus+ here which appears to be running fine.

Update - Roon is back up but search and load time is very slow.

3 Likes

@Sean_Blount
Thank you for your post! Actually, a memory leak seems to be a long-time issue and bothers me for years.

Restarting doesn’t resolve the slowness, so this slowness problem could be caused by other reasons than leaking at least in my case.

1 Like

It has been a week since I started this topic, but no official comment from Roon support!

On the support page, they say:

“Once you’ve clicked on Create Topic our technical team will be immediately notified of your request. They will reply on the thread you’ve created as soon as possible. Please, keep in mind that response times may be slower over the weekend as our technical team work Monday through Friday.”

But this sounds untrue now…

1 Like

I have not figured it out yet except that my issue seems to abate with a restart but only for 15 to 30 minutes. Presumably, that is the ram being used up until it peaks and causes slowness and delays. It is worth pointing out that if I use only playback and add no albums I have no issues but when I start adding albums, sampling tracks and favoriting artists then it stops working.

I have not heard from Roon on my support topic thread either, it will a week old in a few hours.

Just chiming in again - since the last update my Nucleus+ server software is crashing and restarting approximately 2-3 times in a 24 hour timespan. I was on a “streak” of no issues for a few months but now things are starting to act up again. I was listening night before last and about 2 hours in the server software crashed for no apparent reason and took ROON about 10 minutes to restart/reconnect. Something’s up…

Update - whatever happened in Build 1234 appears to have fixed my problems. Everything seems incredibly stable now. Thanks!

1 Like

Hello to all,
same problem here. RoonServer on an iMac 2019 8-core 128GB/2TB/8TB/64TB.
Adding new albums takes too much time and even more the longer RoonServer is running.
A typical scenario is:
I start RoonServer on the iMac running the library from the internal m.2 SSD. Librarysize is 881.000 tracks. Looking for new additions in the surveilled folders takes about 10 to 15 minutes.
Very fast since the update from 1.8 to 2.0. then the new additions take forever. Beginning of additions much faster, after hours there are only some albums added per hour. Playing tracks the same behaviour. When Roon is newly started playing a track maybe takes 15 seconds to start. The longer the Roon Core runs, the longer it takes to start playing a chosen track, sometimes this is minutes!
It started some weeks ago with an update of Roon, where Roon updated the internal database. My database is 87GB and I back up regularly. I tried this step again with the old database but problem was the same.

1 Like

Same here. Mac mini. Extremely sluggish similar to earlier memory leaks but thing now is it starts almost immediately after reboot of the core.

2 Likes

Had partly this repeated restart of roon core, too. Actually not. The Roon team will for sure solve this issues but this is far too long. Patience is one thing, inconvenience the other.

1 Like

Several users experience the same problem, but no support…
I even created a support ticket redirecting to this thread, but had no response.

Hi @Kroon,

Thank you for your patience. Given the context of your other thread, we’ve investigated diagnostics and found several traces pointing to a failure to access your local storage location. Particularly considering the majority of your tracks are local files, Roon will perform slowly if external storage can’t be properly mounted.

A few questions will help clarify the situation:

1. Have you designated Backups to the same folder listed in your Watched Folders?

2. Are you performing Time Machine backups on a Watched Folder? If so, we recommend relying on Roon Backups in a separate location, and not relying on Time Machine. Logs indicate that a Time Machine process is preventing Roon from accessing the partitioned drive where you are storing your local music. It’s likely an active Time Machine backup is interfering with Roon. Roon is forced to rely on temporary or cached data instead, causing performance declines.

I recommend taking a look through the file structure of your external storage location and verifying that everything is properly accessible.

1. Are you using DSP when you experience playback slowness?
  2. Are you using HQPlayer or DSD upsampling when you experience performance decline?

Lastly, as a step to relieve symptoms, try setting aside and restoring your Roon database:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folders named “Roon” and “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old” and “RAATServer” to “RAATServer_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Thank you so much for your reply.

No.

I am using Time Machine, but, no, Watched Folders are excluded. Also, Roon is slow even when Time Machine is not making backups.

1. and 4.
    No.

By the way, what log are you talking about? I haven’t sent you any logs since this slowness issue happened.

What I have found this time is that “adding music” could be a cause (or a result).
See the attached screenshot, and it is working extremely slowly.

1 Like