ROON Feature Requests, Problems, & Comments from New User

Once you understand what you’ve got, you’ll realize that there are no competitive apps.

Roon does have a switch, under Setting/General, called “Allow for more covers/photos”, which only has two settings, but it does what you want.

Annual subscription is $119.
Is that a substantial financial decision?
Six albums?
One dinner out?

One dinner out? Where do you live? In expensive land? Geez! Yes, the annual subscription is quite expensive for some of us. Each time I tell my friends to use Roon they refuse because of the price. I have only one acquaintance that started using it because I recommended it. Thats it. You might have a good financial situation but thats not all of us.

1 Like

You can ask for an additional 14 days if you feel like you need it. I did and it really helped to decide.

True, Seattle is expensive.
Also depends on family size.

But ignore that, five albums?

@John_Birch

I apologize, I absolutely did not want to sound flip, or cavalier about money.

My reaction was because I think of buying a house and pensions and life insurance and retirement and college as significant financial decisions.
I think of all this hobby stuff as relatively unimportant.
I think Roon is great, but if it involves financial hardship, of course it should not be considered.

I wrote a more thoughtful piece discussing what something is worth:

How do you do this?

I currently have Roon on a 60 day trial (via a card in my Chord Poly). I have used it for about half that period so far and although I’ve got to grips with much of the basics I’ve still got a lot to learn. During that period I’ve been at home a lot so had quite a bit of time to devote to learning Roon too. I know I could have asked for an extension of the 14 day trial, but my point was you should have too. 30 days is pretty the norm for a trial period. 14 days is actually off-putting and I really don’t see why they limit it so much. Sorry but that seems bonkers to me.

If you follow the link I gave, you will find this:

Can my license be used in more than one location?

Yes! If you only have one Roon license, you can simply log in to Roon at any location, and Roon will prompt you to de-authorize the previously active installation. However, you can’t run Roon in two locations at the same time with only one license.

Install Roon on your laptop, take it on holiday with your HD of music and start up Roon. Because you are not at home, Roon will say it can’t find the Core and ask if you want to set up a Roon Core on your laptop. Do this, log in to Roon, and Roon will prompt you to de-authorize the previously active installation (see above).

When you get back home, assuming you want to carry on using your Laptop as a Roon Remote controlling the Core in your home, then in Roon, go to Settings/General and click the blue Disconnect button. Then Roon will show you the Cores that it has found; the one still running on your laptop, and the Core running in your home network. Connect to this one, and Roon will prompt you to de-authorize the previously active installation (see above).

Sorry a bit late busy sunbathing

The CD01 - Annotation is well known

Roon works on albums, so if you think of a box set as an album it will have CD01…CDxx

If annotated Roon will see each cd as an album and split them off. If you multi select them , right click first, shift click the last then Edit>Merge ronnwill reconstruct the Box

Box sets are badly handled , look at the Classical Consolidated thread for info, Roon is well aware of the shortfall alas …

Sorry Classical a compilation thread

Thanks for this. I’ll give it a go.

Thanks for the info. Some box sets it seems to handle fine with CD1, CD2, etc, others no matter what it doesn’t group them, and very large box sets seem to fail too. For a product that prides itself on metadata and usability it’s still has someway to go in this department, especially considering the price.

Alternatives seem to recognize the disc 1/6, 2/6 metadata tag and deal with it fine.

Have a dig through the community, there are many threads about the poor state of classical metadata, Roon can only work with what it can find in its metadata sources

Many of the big box sets , eg Brendel 114, Karajan DG etc have p**s poor metadata, embarrassingly so for Philips DG etc

The classical die hards have been vocal on the subject but to no avail, Roon features are aimed at the highest number of users, Classical fans come a poor second, this is not a sleight just the facts

Maybe 1.7 will shed light but I wouldn’t hold my breath

Another way of looking at it might be that because the labels insist in providing such p**s poor metadata, then Roon Labs have a tough job in trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. It is of no surprise to me that they pursue other challenges first.

1 Like

Nor me Geoff. What is a surprise is the lack of a Plan B. Roon gives us neither a complete fix nor the tools to enable user fixes. Frustrating…

1 Like

Another metadata insight

1 Like

Erm - the user tools are there. It boils down to your file tags, the PERSONNEL tag in particular. I have a few albums that are too rare to have any metadata in the upstream source, and quite a few other albums whose metadata I have enriched/corrected through the use of the PERSONNEL, WORK, and PART tags.

See this page for tag details:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/File_Tag_Best_Practice

And this page for the exhaustive list of roles for use in the PERSONNEL tag.
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Credit_Roles

1 Like

John knows all of that he’s just a grumpy sod.
He fell off the path and is having to start at step one again (be nice to people) and it’s making him testy.

If he knows about it, then complaints liked “nor the tools to enable user fixes” are utterly invalid.